What Having A New Puppy Has Taught Me

What Having A New Puppy Has Taught Me

A major responsibility that comes with companionship, love, and LOTS of puppy kisses.

10
What Having A New Puppy Has Taught Me
Facebook

Over the summer, my family and I suffered the devastating loss of our beloved dog. It was rough, really rough, and having been away for the whole summer, it really didn’t hit me until I had returned home and realized how different the house was without the sound of her paws hitting the wood floors loudly as she wandered the house. Although nothing could ever replace a certain pet, we needed some form of therapy. We decided to get a puppy, the final piece of our family’s puzzle that we hadn’t needed to solve in about ten years.

We made our final decision about getting the new puppy and taking on the strict responsibility and commitment that comes with one; we were watching the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil at the time. Therefore, we appropriately decided to name our pup “Rio”. On September 8th, 2016, our three-pound, miniature Goldendoodle had arrived home and we couldn’t have been happier. At first, she was shy and just wanted company…all the time. We couldn’t leave her alone because she didn’t know what to do with herself in this new and strange place. It was only a matter of a few days that Rio cracked out of her shell and unleashed her true self.

Rio had almost instantly transformed from a calm, shy, and innocent puppy to an energetic ball of fur. She needs to have her mouth around something AT ALL TIMES, and if she doesn’t, that "something" will be you. Of course, getting a puppy comes with teething anything in sight and within a vicinity of 12 inches, but a bone MUST be shoved into her tiny mouth, ASAP. She always wants to play and release her adrenaline, so running her around the pool for 15 minutes straight is a good way to knock her out for the rest of the night. When she is in the mood to be calm, she gives countless puppy kisses, and they are to die for.

Getting a new puppy teaches many important life skills, and of these, I believe, the most important is responsibility and caring for a life other than your own. Neglecting and letting down an animal is considered a crime, and just because you can skip breakfast one day of the week doesn’t mean your dog can too. Before you make the spontaneous decision of getting a puppy and committing oneself to another life and putting it in your hands, there are general puppy owner guidelines that one must abide by. First, do your research. If you have kids, don’t get a dog that doesn’t get along with kids. If you live in an apartment building, don’t get a dog that needs a large lawn to romp around several times a day. Common sense, people. Next, make sure you have enough time in the day to put another life above yours for an extended amount of that time. My family and I developed a strict schedule in which we take turns feeding, walking, and playing with Rio. That way, one of us isn’t bombarded with all the responsibility that taking care of a three-month-old puppy encompasses. It is efficient, and it’s fun!

If you are thinking of adopting or buying a puppy, make sure you are willing to set aside a large fraction of your Netflix time in order to suit your pet’s needs. It’s a life that falls in your hands, and you get a new best friend out of it.