What I Have Learned From Writing For Odyssey For A Year

This isn't goodbye, just a reflection.

199
Emma Glasgow

One year ago I was writing my first article for Odyssey, and preparing to have my writing shared for the world to see. Even though it was a simple article about Ed Sheeran’s new music, I was nervous. What would people think? Would they judge my writing or my opinions? How would this experience shape me and my future as a writer? I wasn’t sure what to expect.

The response I have gotten from each article has been overwhelming. I have gotten compliments from family and friends, and even people I wouldn’t expect to have even read my writing. I have had people of importance read my articles and compliment them, which I am over the moon about. If you have read even one of my pieces this year, thank you. I hope I can continue to write articles that are well received.

Over the past year, I have learned a lot, both about the world and about myself.

Throughout my journey this past year I have tackled a lot of topics. I’ve written about hobbies, music obsessions, politics, and other controversial issues. With each topic, I have used my own knowledge, but with a number of them I have done research to further understand what’s happening. There have even been some topics that I knew nothing about, and have developed opinions I never knew I’d have! The beauty of writing is that you will have to learn a variety of things in order to be successful, and it’s something I have embraced even more this past year.

Along with the newsworthy topics, I have also shared a lot of personal experiences in my articles. On a few occasions I have opened up about my mental health. This has always been scary for me; I don’t like being open about my anxiety and depression and have kept many of my lowest moments to myself over the years. Opening up about some of those lows left me feeling nervous, but it has also been so freeing. I’ve learned to not be ashamed about my past, even if it hasn’t been the best at times. Even the worst of moments have been stepping stones on the journey to a brighter future. I think viewing life more and more like that this past year has helped make sharing those moments less scary.

Overall, writing for Odyssey this past year has been a learning experience. I have expanded my knowledge about many topics, and have learned more about how my past has shaped me. I have discovered that a person’s past doesn’t define their present, or even their future. Most importantly, I have learned not to be scared about sharing my views with others. It’s a lesson I’ve tried to embrace for years, but in this past year I’ve really begun owning it more and more.

Even though I’ve learned a lot from this experience, I know I have a lot more to learn. I’m excited to keep writing with Odyssey and share my opinions and experiences with everyone!