What I Have Learned From My Kairos Retreat

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

378
Leigh Hendrick Photo

It is not easy to get multiple teens to agree to attend a three day, two night retreat away from home and without their phones. Some attend Kairos because it's required, their sibling went, or because they have nothing better to do so why not just go. Kairos isn't just a retreat, it's so much more. You are on God’s time, never knowing what the actual time is and just living in the moment. People are taken out of their comfort zones and share things that they would never share with their parents or close friends. You're put in groups with people you never thought that you’d talk to and are somehow okay with it. Kairos creates a bond with not only others, but yourself and God. Attending Kairos has taught me so many things:

1. Everyone has a story

Everyone goes through so much in their lives and they experience them in different ways. Yeah, maybe someone has done something you did, but it doesn't mean everything leading up to it was the same as yours. You learn to always listen to the stories of others because you can and will walk away with a new perspective. You learn that people are the way they are because they have gone through something you haven't and it's okay to not understand because all you have to do is listen. On Kairos you hear many witnesses (personal stories). You can hear that a person lost their best friend due to a drunk driver and ever since they refuse to ride in a car. You hear that a kid had to drag his or her mother into the hospital as a young teen because his father had another bad day. You hear all kinds of stories and each one of them is different. Learning that everyone has a story and each one is different causes you to walk out of the retreat with an open mind of how you talk and treat others.

2. Trust in God’s Plan

God is there with you in everything you do. His plan is the best plan. There will always be hard times in your life, but it happens because it is what He wants. Through the hard times and through the good times it is best to trust in God and believe that He will get you through it. Never underestimate what He can do and always believe that you are here to fulfill His plan. God wants you to be successful just as much as you do. He wants you to be the best person that you can be. God believes in you so much. He is your biggest supporter. He loves you and is only creating your story as you go on. He wants you to be able to share your life with others and most importantly Him. Never ever forget that everything that happens in your life is because God has planned it to.

3. Love yourself

You are strong. You are beautiful. You are unique. You are important. You are successful. On Kairos you learn to care for others and accept others, but most importantly you learn to love yourself. Kairos helps you to get rid of your burdens and focus on you. God has made you in His image just the way He wants you to be. You learn to believe in yourself and trust that you can do anything that you set your mind to. You, as well as God are the writers of your story. Never let anyone tell you that you are any different. You were put on this earth for a reason and maybe you haven't found it yet, but there is a reason. Never give up on yourself and always believe that you can and will.

4. Live the Fourth

There are only three days spent on Kairos, so when it is time to step back into the real world remember to live everyday after like it is the fourth day. Always remember the lessons that you’ve learned in your small groups or ones that you’ve learned throughout the retreat. Give back to others, volunteer or do good. Set goals spiritually and mentally. Never give up on anything you take on. Live without fear, remembering that God is always by your side. Take a day to be on God’s time, ignore the texts, calls, and the time. Forget the mistakes and just talk to God because He is there to listen to you. You should always Live the Fourth and never forget to.

Attending Kairos has changed my life in so many ways. Leaving the retreat was a real wake up call. The “Kai-High” everyone talked about was very true. Since Kairos I remember to be the best me that I can. I learned that I am capable to do anything I set my mind to. If you are ever given the opportunity to attend a Kairos retreat please do. If you have attended a Kairos retreat, always remember that everyone has a story, trust in God, love yourself, and lastly, Live the Fourth.

A special thank you to Kairos XXX and Blazing Grace.