What Have I Been Watching?

What Have I Been Watching?

Five shows that have kept me content continuing to stay inside.

38
What Have I Been Watching?
Illustration by: Martin Gee | https://www.vulture.com/article/best-streaming-services-guide.html

In my home state of Georgia, many of the COVID-19 related restrictions have been lifted. It's still a much different world than before April 2020, but not nearly as different as some states I imagine. To me, it appears quite obvious that leaders of individual states (red or blue) are either raising or lowering restrictions seem to be doing so for political gain first and health and safety second. These days there is nothing, not even a global pandemic, that cannot be politicized and be used to divide Americans rather than bring us together.

This means that anxiety has most certainly not gone away, not even close, what with threats of a second wave ever-present. So, when I'm not delivering food, I've been continuing to stay indoors for most of my days, because I want to save the world. It is absolutely not because I have no life, so get that thought out of your head.

Here is a list of some of my favorite universes to jump through my television screen into (not literally, don't try that at home).

Westworld - I've recently finished the first season, and although I took it very slowly, it was partly because I didn't want it to end. The other part would be the wealth of complex ideas and story lore they drop onto you per episode can be a lot; which isn't a bad thing in my opinion! I love the way it makes you think about technology, the future, human nature, and even android nature. Both Western and sci-fi music are present throughout, which are two of my favorite types of music, and they fit together quite well along with both sets of visuals.

Rick and Morty- I've seen every episode of this show already as of this posting, but I just can't help but rewatch it. The number of times I've seen each episode is probably in the double digits for all of them. Each episode is just so digestible, fun, and funny; the creators have managed to strike a perfect balance between a serialized narrative (a story that continues forward) and a narrative where each part/episode can mostly stand on its own, but still remain within the same world. The brilliant jokes and philosophy that the series shows off are amazing. In my opinion, Rick and Morty is one of the best animated shows ever to be made.

New Girl - A show I've also seen every episode of, and boy, was it a worthwhile binge. I think I got through every episode in about a week of quarantine. At first, I was a little skeptical of a story about a girl who moves in with three other guys; I couldn't really tell what the vibe of the show would be. But once I watched the first few, I was hooked. Each of the characters is hilarious and has a way of making you fall in love with them individually, and the shenanigans that ensue with that cast are always entertaining.

Night on Earth - Surprise, there's a nature documentary on the list! Who would've thought? Yes, Night on Earth is a Netflix original doc that is exactly what it sounds like; using special cameras, it shows off the amazing things that take place on different parts of the earth when night falls. Seeing how each environment and the creatures within it adapt to the night is fascinating, and some of the visuals they manage to capture of said environments at nighttime are mind-blowingly beautiful.

Trailer Park Boys - Ah, Canada's finest. This show about three delinquent best friends and the hijinks they cause around their trailer park in Nova Scotia, Canada is brilliant mockumentary entertainment. Every character serves a purpose and will probably make you laugh at some point. They all have loveable and at times relatable personalities, so much so that in certain tender moments of the show I found myself getting emotional which is NOT common for me with entertainment. There's absolutely no shortage of Trailer Park Boys content on Netflix, either, so get into it!