5 Things That Happen When It's Greek Week

It's like a sports pride week, except it's for sororities/frats.

66

The weather is warmer, people are happy, spring rush is over and most of the new members have been initiated into their respective frat or fraternity. Snow pants have been traded for jean shorts, winter coats have been traded for tee shirts and cardigans. Crowded libraries are now emptied out as people move outside to study. There are now kids napping in hammocks instead of the floor of the library. Instead of gloves, hands now hold iced coffee and tea. It's no longer dark at 5 pm and you can walk back from you're night class not in fear. In general, life is good and it keeps getting better.

The greeks like to capitalize n this to have the most fun and successful greek week possible ( I should know, I'm in a sorority). The outdoor games, the friendly competitions, and the smiles make the week much more fun.

1. Letters everywhere. 

Everywhere you you look someone is wearing their letters. Weather it be for point check in or just general pride, the amount of letters worn this week, increases exponentially.

2. Games

Games like corn-hole or flag football make a comeback for some friendly competition between different frats and sororities and are just fun in general, especially with warmer weather.

3. Music being played loud and outside

Now this usually happens when the warmer gets warmer no matter what but greek week just lends it self to large groups of young men and women gathering and playing music.

4. Your friends will ask you to help their sorority/ frat "win" 

"Please place coins in the coin buck for X sorority/frat!!"

"Don't forget to sign up for this and to put our sorority in the description"

With competition comes the need to mobilize all of our friends.

5. Social Media

Suddenly everyone's stories are just picture of their letters/ promoting the sorority. It seems strange but think of it like posing your team's mascot to your social media during a really big game

Greek Week: it's fun, it's loud, it's warm, it's spirited. Even if some of the activities are a little bit confusing, I promise you'll have alo more fun if you participate in the skits, races, corn hole tournaments than if you stand by and judge those who are. It's also a great way to break down stereotypes and get to know your greek community in a fun, non competitive way.