What Hairdressers Want You To Know

What Hairdressers Want You To Know

10 Things That Irritate Your Hairstylist

96
What Hairdressers Want You To Know
prettydesigns

Hairdressers love what they do. Working with hair isn't just a job, but an art form. Though hairdressers know that everyone is unique and they embrace their diverse clientele, there are some ways in which we can all show some respect and help to make these talented individuals' jobs easier while ensuring that we get some gorgeous locks as well. Here are some of the insider details I gained while talking to hairstylists. What bothers hairdressers? I found out.

1. Staring down at your phone

We all have phones these days and sitting in a chair waiting for your hair to process takes time. Phones can be perfect for entertaining while in the chair but when a hairdresser is trying to make sure you have a proper cut or that dye is properly placed, they need to make sure that your legs are uncrossed and that you are sitting up straight with your face forward. "I hate when customers are staring down at their phone. I need to see how the hair lays and if their neck is angled down staring at a phone I can't do that," says Toby, a hairdresser for 30 years. "When you're getting your hair done, it's best to just look in the mirror at the work and be in the moment."

2. The constant talker

Talking is nice. It's great to get to know what the client needs and about their hair from their perspective. A client knows their hair best and their lives are interesting, but according to hairdressers, constant talking can be exhausting. Remember, this person is working all day, they are paying attention to every detail and trying to make sure that they are concentrating on your hair. Breathing in between talking helps your hairdresser to focus and to keep their day running smoothly.

3. The mind changer

If it's halfway through the process of creating a color, style or cut, it sometimes can't be changed. If a hairdresser has to start over this can be a hassle at their expense. Remember that you are the customer but they also have a schedule that is usually very strict and chaotic. They are doing their best to give you an exceptional result. Try to know what you want and be clear as soon as you arrive. Communicate throughout if you feel you weren't clear enough but don't try to change direction completely. If you aren't happy with the result, let them know what you would like to change. A big change may need to be rescheduled. Most every hairdresser only wants to make sure that you love your hair.

4. The life crisis hair changer

Sure, there's nothing wrong with going from jet-black to platinum blonde, but some things can't be done in one visit. Hair needs to be gradually changed in certain circumstances. Don't expect to do a 180 in two hours. Not only is it nearly impossible, but it's brutal on your hair. Hairdressers want to keep your hair healthy above all else. Some customers are angered that they can't do such a change so quickly and blame the hairdresser. As in life, drastic changes usually take time.

5. The celebrity look-alike

If you expect to look like Jennifer Aniston by getting a hair cut and color, you may have to re-evaluate some things. At the same time, pictures are a big help for hairdressers. It is great to do your research ahead of time and have a plan. It saves time and lets your stylist know exactly what you want, but you look like you, regardless of what you do to your hair.

6. The budgeter

If you want a cheap haircut, you'll get a cheap result. Go to a chain that offers low prices. Yes, some chains have amazing hairdressers, but if you aren't willing to pay a higher price, don't expect to have a high-quality result. If you want a beautiful look every time, then expect to pay a price worthy of the work. And tip. Let the hairdresser know that you respect what they do and are thankful. Yes, it's their job but hair is art too. And hairdressers that see appreciation will appreciate you too—they'll be more willing to help you book appointments easier and sometimes allow you to be in direct contact with them. Great hairdressers aren't always easy to find so building a good relationship with one that you've had good experiences with is essential. If you want to look good, save the money in your budget so you know that you can get the best result every time.

7. The turnaround talker

If your hairdresser is talking to you, you don't need to turn completely around to answer. They can hear you. They are used to engaging in conversation this way. I laughed hardest at this answer when asking about experiences that stylists have had. This will not help your hairdresser in working on your hair. They will most likely just stop talking to you, and laugh to themselves in bewilderment.

8. The hair tucker

Sure, no one likes their hair in their face, but don't tuck it behind your ears while you're getting a haircut. Some people do it constantly. In order to cut your hair correctly, it sometimes has to be in your face for a moment. Again, if you want a good haircut, deal with it for awhile when you're in the chair and tuck your hair later. The same goes for constantly touching, flipping, and playing with your hair or shaking your head around. Yes, it's soft, it smells great, the shampoo they use is fantastic— leave it alone, let your stylist do their work.

9. The cell phone talker

Again with the phone! But this one is the worst. "Wait a minute, I have to take this." No, your hairdresser doesn't have a minute. No, they cannot cut your hair or put in dye around the phone attached to your ear. They don't want to listen to you jabbering on to someone on your device. It's rude. Just don't. Unless it's an emergency, it can wait.

10. The non-communicator

I stress communication because it's the most essential part of having good experiences in the salon. Yes, they're experts, but they can't read your mind. If you walk in and say, "I don't know," nothing frustrates a hairdresser more. Unless you want them to just use your hair as a canvas at their will, tell them what you want. Hairdressers want to know the quirks of your hair, your past experiences with your hair and with other stylists, and what you need done at the moment. If you see a problem during your time in the chair or don't think they've understood you, speak up kindly. Respect their knowledge and artistry, but be specific as well. If you aren't specific and then complain with the result, it's like insulting their art.

In any service industry, it's best to understand how to communicate well. Always try to put yourself in someone's shoes who is helping you to feel confident, comfortable, or taken care of. In the words of Ellen Degeneres— "Be kind to one another." Life will be more enjoyable for everyone.