What Greek Life Has Given Me

What Greek Life Has Given Me

Something that lasts after you graduate from college

104
What Greek Life Has Given Me
theprospect.net

The question of whether or not to go Greek is often something freshmen think about when they first enter college. Stereotypical views about sororities and fraternities exist because of all the possible hazing incidents in Greek life being reported on the news.

People were a bit surprised when they realized I joined a co-ed professional fraternity. Indeed, I may not be one of the sorority girls, as they would say, but I am one of those college students who wear letters on campus. For those who are not affiliated with any Greek organizations, I invite you to try and step in the shoes of sorority girls or frat guys, as you would call them, because we actually earned the letters, and what they have given us is more than we can imagine.

1. I met people who I am proud to call my sisters and brothers.

When I was a freshman, I really wanted to find a group of friends who share the same interests as mine, and even motivate me to be a better person. I didn't realize what I had gotten myself into when I was approached by people who wore apparel with weird letters on them. I never knew they meant so much to me after I was part of this brotherhood. They taught me a lot of things in various ways. I guess, most importantly, is that we went through the same obstacles and shared the same experiences together. From strangers, to people I have to see and eat with every day, they are the first group of people I went to when I needed to rant and talk. One time, I found out I forgot to bring my calculator to my exam 15 minutes before, and one of my brothers actually ran from his dorm and gave it to me. Simply put, they are literally my rides or dies.

2. Social connections and networks you can't possibly find elsewhere.

Last week, I went to Alexandria, Va. to attend a business conference with my Greek organization. Greek life isn't just about partying and drinking. I got to meet brothers from other chapters in different schools, ranging from NYU to James Madison University. It was amazing how we all came together from different states and shared different experiences. While I was travelling to Hong Kong this past summer, I actually ran into a brother from Baruch College. Through him, I got to expand my network by getting to know other brothers who have internship opportunities in different work fields.

3. It is a commitment, not just a club.

Being part of Greek life is time consuming and, honestly, conflicts within sororities and fraternities are pretty common. However, by the end of the day, they are still your brothers and sisters. I have grown to be a well-rounded individual to accept different personalities. As rush chair, this semester, I was responsible for recruiting new people who are interested in committing to being part of Greek life. I have to admit, this is a tough job. I can't just quit as a club member so I sat alone and thought about the reason why I wanted to be part of this.

Even though my brothers piss me off, sometimes, I learned to embrace our differences and that there is definitely something magical that binds us together. I got used to seeing those faces every day, and always striving to make this fraternity better. Even though some brothers might have drifted apart, I would want this brotherhood to keep growing stronger. I guess it is that moment, I realized, Greek life became part of my life.

4. Those letters mean more than you ever know.

I am not trying to convince anyone who isn't part of Greek life to go Greek. Greek life isn't for everyone. If you think you fit into a certain a sorority or fraternity, don't hesitate to go for it because you will never know until you give yourself a chance. You may think we can be a little bit fake when it comes to recruiting new people, but it is actually because we want to offer you a long lasting bond and welcome you to be part of it.

I used to be like you, who were really eager to make a group of friends in college, but now I have found a group of people that will be there for me like a family, not only friends. The letters I am wearing never define who I am, but one thing I know for sure is, they partly shape me into who I am today -- a person who goes above and beyond to take up leadership positions and be confident in everything I do.