What Goes Through My Head When I Go To The Gym

A narrative based on a true story.

10
wikimedia

Today I went to the gym.

It's not something that happens often, but I let someone guilt me into going today.

To start my fabulous workout sesh, I walk in, and there are people there. Great, people will be here watching me make a fool of myself.

I looked around and noticed that everyone in the gym was either a body builder-looking dude or an athlete, so they all knew what they were doing. They didn't have to look around and ask, "How in the world do you use this contraption?" I don't need a repeat of what happened last time. Don't get stuck in a machine this time.

I decided to forget about the people around me and just go for it. I did a few reps and my arms were killing me. This working out thing really works!

I walked away from the machine that I had finally learned how to use, and had to learn how to use the next one all over again. Someone before me had it set to like 200 pounds, so I laughed and went way back down to the double digits.

After about 15 minutes, I realized how dirty my hands felt. Touching these machines made me feel disgusting... How many people have touched these? How often do they clean these things?

I got over it and moved on.

The gym has so many weights to choose from, but 175-pound dumbbells? Who can lift that (for the record, I tried...)?

I picked some up that were nice and light. The guy beside me was lifting a bar that was a couple hundred pounds. Well his 200 makes my 10 look small.

I decided to bump it up a notch (a notch being two extra pounds), and I was really feeling it at this point. Why do people like this?

I walked away from the dumbbells and to another complicated-looking machine, but I was able to figure it out pretty quick and spent a long time over there. I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I repeated this a few times on several other machines.

Finally, I checked the time and realized I had finally been there an hour. As I was leaving, I had a few thoughts.

Wow, I'm already getting sore.

I wonder how weak those people think I am?

My hands still feel dirty.

Working out sucks.

Needless to say, I got my gym fix. Maybe next time I'll be a pro, but it'll probably be a while before we find out.