What Drives You?

What Drives You?

In a chaotic society where there is barely enough time to accomplish anything, what do you prioritize?
82

In a society that is quite often fueled by selfish motives and desires, it is sometimes hard to tell where our priorities should lie. Everyone has their own agenda, and this is pushed on to us to the point that we frequently forget the morals and values that once determined our actions.

However, we can not continue let others deem what should and should not be important in our lives. It’s time for us to realign the priorities that are most essential to our being, and live in a way that others could easily pick out what drives our existence. Below I have listed twelve common aspects of life that people struggle prioritizing, and challenge you to evaluate each one and decide how important it is to you.

1. Academics.

How much do you value your academic success? Are your grades important to you? Do you correlate doing well in school with prosperity in life?

2. Relationships.

How much time and energy do you feel is necessary to put into your significant other? Do you feel the need to put their happiness over yourself's?

3. Friendships.

Is making time for your friends essential for you? How does keeping them close impact your life?

4. Family.

Do you have a good relationship with your family? Do you make decisions based on whether or not your parents would approve of them?

5. Extracurriculars.

Although they are considered to be "side activities," how essential are these pursuits in making you happy? Are you doing these just to build your resume or do you genuinely enjoy them?

6. Getting ahead in your career.

What motivates you to do well in your profession? Are you driven to succeed by the wealth, prestige, or satisfaction in excelling?

7. Mental Health.

DISCLAIMER: Mental health should be extraordinarily important to everyone. How do you expect to live a life that you love if you are not in a mental state that allows you to do so?

8. Physical Health.

How important is your body image to you? Does the majority of your self esteem derive from being physically fit and living a healthy lifestyle?

9. Philanthropy.

Do you feel as if you do enough to help those less fortunate than you? How much satisfaction do you gain from volunteering and giving back to your community?

10. Faith.

How important is your religion in determining your actions? How do these beliefs motivate you to become the person that you aspire to be?

After analyzing your answers to these questions, it should become clear which components are most important to you and add the most value to your life. These are the components that you need to focus your time and energy in to. When things that are not as important begin to take priority over these, you will inevitably lose the satisfaction you once had in your life.