What Does It Mean To Be Unique?

What Does It Mean To Be Unique?

How to be a trendsetter instead of following current trends.

3720
What Does It Mean To Be Unique?
Cosmopolitan

It seems more and more people strive to be different but follow how others act. There’s a cycle of uniqueness which seems to be the new trend, but this “unique” characteristic is many times just a copy cat. For example, when being hipster was in everyone changed themselves to be portrayed as edgy. When Kylie Jenner got lip fillers, a frenzy started where people aimed to look like her and have big lips. Why? I find myself wondering if being true to yourself is possible, especially while surrounded by people who encourage you to change.

It's part of our brain process as human beings to want the best. When we see something visually appealing to ourselves or others, we strive to have it. It's not that we aren't all unique, but that we care too much for the opinions of others over our own. I find it amusing to look through old photos of myself and laugh about the clothes I used to wear and the makeup I caked on my face. In one of the photos my mom said I looked like a raccoon because of the load of eyeliner smeared under my eyes. I defended myself with, "Well back then it was cool!" There's a cycle where trends change over time, and so do people. On a show called Botched, patients seek plastic surgery to make themselves look a desired way. Some patients go to the extremes as he/she strives to look like a Barbie doll or a super hero, even if the procedure is high risk. I sometimes ask myself why these people would risk their lives just to change their appearance. The only answer I can find is that they just aren't satisfied with themselves so plastic surgery is their tool to be transformed into someone else. Aren't we all like this? I don't mean plastic surgery but the fact we all use material items to hide ourselves because we are never satisfied with what we see in the mirror. We are afraid to be different, unique.

What does it mean to be unique? Almost everyone conforms to what's socially acceptable, but to be unique trashes what's "in" and focus on what you like versus what others do. In other words, don't give a crap what people think. If you truly feel grunge, be grunge! For the past few years I have struggled with the idea that popularity was the only way high school could be bearable, but little did I know that achieving that goal made me miserable. I acted as a completely different person just to fit in. It took a while to realize that happiness came when I focused on myself and hung out with people who shared common interests even if they were viewed as weird. We are uniquely designed, meaning not one person shares the same eye, fingerprint or imagination. Therefore, as a community, we should embrace our quirkiness instead of following the current trends. If we stay true to ourselves, imagine all the creativity this world can share.