What Does A "Date" Mean In Today's Society?

What ever happened to dinner and a movie?

719
Google Images

Dinner, a movie, and maybe ice cream. What ever happened to the simplistic idea of a date? When did it become Netflix and chill? When did people lose so much class and conform to the modern world?

Dating is an amazing thing. This is how we meet some of our closest friends, sometimes our worst enemies, and eventually our soulmate, our one true love. Before the technology era came about, people would call someone who they cared to take on a date and ask them on just that: a date.

A date in today's world consists of "hangin out" and maybe a Skype or FaceTime conversation if it is a long distance relationship. We have so much technology today including Facebook, Tinder, Bumble, etc. which offer new ways for meeting people. In my opinion, this is slowly killing not only our social skills but the meaning of a true courtship.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to tell me about this amazing man who would treat me like a princess and make sure that he would let me win in Mini Golf. What ever happened to these ideals? I see so many people talking about some guy who just said, "Let's hook up," on Tinder instead of, "Hey. My name is so and so. I think you are beautiful, smart, etc. and I would really like to take you out to dinner."

All I can say is that I hope that those true gentleman who are still out there step forward and try to bring back chivalry. While yes it is fun to have a fast and easy way to meet people because of technology, we don't realize what we are losing in the process.