Why What I Do Is Not Who I Am

Why What I Do Is Not Who I Am

Don't think of me as the things I have done.

1476
Why What I Do Is Not Who I Am
psychalive.org

The biggest question of them all. Who really are you? This question is the easiest to ask and the hardest to answer. Time after time, we find ourselves stumped over this question. Who am I? I am a friend, a child, a brother or sister, a believer and a go getter. There are things about me that no one else shares with me, that makes me different from everyone else. I am me. But please, do not confuse me with what I do.

So many times we make decisions in our lives that stick with us forever. Good or bad, the decisions that we make daily have a way of following us for life. They stick with us, whether we want them to or not. Unfortunately, we let these times define who we are. We think that the decisions that we make define our values, our morals, and our life. But they do not. The decisions that I have made in my life do not define who I am as a person. Sure, there are plenty of decisions that I have made in my life that I am not proud of you. There are things that I wish that I didn't do, but I do not regret them. They have brought me to where I am today and who I am today. Everything that I have been through in the past has made me grow into the man that I am today. I have lived, learned, laughed and cried and at the end of the day, I can only look back and learn, and then look forward to the future.

We are often asked if there are times that we would take back if we could. If we had the opportunity, would we take back those crying-worthy moments in our past. Of course, it would be the easy way out. If the power was there, it would be great. But what good would come out of that? The same mistake would be made over and over again and there would be nothing learned. There would be no progress made and nothing learned. That is why I stand true to my convictions when I say that I do not regret and I do not wish I could take anything back. I have learned from everything that I have done, been through, and seen.

I know how much it means to me when people keep me distant from the decisions I have made, so please know that I do not hold anyone to the decisions they have made. Sometimes good people make bad decisions, and that is okay. In my eyes, you are not what you do.

So please, in the future, do not think of me as the things I have done. Think of me for who I truly am. When you think of me, think about all the good that I have done and all the positive things that I have done in my life. When you think of me, know that I am working to be the best that I can, and to live my life in a way that will make everyone proud, including myself.