Don't Let The Cards You've Been Dealt In Life Define You

It’s important to remember that you have the capability to do something about it.

247
Nepal Buzz

A new year holds so much hope and promise for everyone in all aspects of life. No matter how you finished the previous year, you get a chance to do it all over again. It’s both a time and an excuse to reflect on the past, learn from your mistakes, and take another shot at fine-tuning our lives. It’s a time to celebrate another year of just being alive, despite all of the hardships and obstacles we have faced in the past.

For some, zodiac signs determine how their year will go. But whether you’re a Libra or a Capricorn, it’s important to remember that you have the ability to make the decisions in your life. All you are is a sum of your choices, so a year of great decisions makes for a great year. Sure zodiac signs tell us who and what might not sit right with us, sure it’s nice to read a few words of encouragement to reassure ourselves that there is some possibility of love, new friendship, salary bonus, or winning the lottery in our near future; but in the end you are in charge of your own future.

It’s often taken for granted in life that fate will deal us a couple good hands every year but what we fail to realize is that we are responsible for creating the opportunities in order for ourselves to be dealt those cards. It’s entirely up to yourself who you associate with, which goals you choose to pursue, and even which numbers to select when buying a lottery ticket (even though Quick Pick is an option). It’s not a horoscope writer’s words, a fortune teller’s predictions, or a fortune cookie’s message-- it’s entirely up to you.

A new year presents the idea of essentially "starting all over again," a new beginning for everyone. It also gives us a chance to map out our goals for the year. Though many of us have several goals in mind that we’d like to achieve, fewer of us actually think about the necessary steps in order to achieve those goals. This part is incredibly crucial. Knowing one’s capabilities can help a person thrive when it comes to goal chasing. Once people know what they are capable of, they’ll continue to challenge themselves until they know no boundaries. However, the most important part throughout this process is that we do not look to others, fate, or pure luck to help us along the way. The process is entirely up to us. We have absolute control to direct our lives and lifestyles in whichever directions we desire.

As we are solely in control of all of the positive progress towards our goals, we are inversely responsible for all of the bad decisions along the way. Granted, there are some obstacles or curveballs which we cannot seem to control in life-- but every cheat day, every day that we deem ourselves “too lazy” or “deserving of a break” when in reality, we are not, is all on ourselves.

Though it may be easier at times to blame others, the weather, or cruel fate, for life not going as you’d like, it’s important to remember that you have the capability to do something about it. You can mend it, change it, and improve it. Don’t doubt your abilities, and most importantly, don’t doubt your influence on others as a source of positive energy. Thought is contagious.