What Dancing Means to Me

What Dancing Means to Me

It's like dreaming with your feet.

4627
What Dancing Means to Me
Catherine Latham

The definition of dance is to "move rhythmically to music, typically a set sequence of steps". That is such a broad definition of what dance really is. To me, dance is everything. Dance is an art form. Dance is a lifestyle. If I didn't have dance, I would definitely not be the person I am today.

I don't remember my first dance class when I was three, or the first time I stepped foot onstage at that age, but the time I can remember being on stage was when I was about five years old. I was confident about my dance steps and then I heard the applause; I knew in that moment that I wanted to hear applause all the time. I remember my first dance competition and being so nervous for the awards and then they called our dance and we had done did so well ! As the years went on, the competitions became second nature and I couldn't wait for those early morning drives to each competition. I knew in those moments that I found something that I was good at and something that I really cared about.

I remember the day I first did a double pirouette or when I first landed a perfect leap. Nothing beats those feelings because you finally accomplish something you have been working towards for months, sometimes, even years. At dance I was considered a "turner", so I always took risks with turns and the amount of them I would attempt. Dance is the best art form to experiment because if you don't get it right, you can just do it again. It's not permanent like paint on a canvas. The stage is your canvas but when you make your mark, you can make a million mistakes and then undo them the next time.

Dance is like dreaming with your feet. When I dance, I forget every worry I have or anything that is going on. Whether school isn't going well or friend drama anything like that, when I put on my dance shoes, all of that goes away. When I feel connected to a song, there is nothing else in my head except me and the song.

A great family experience is created with people you are with everyday,doing something you love and mine being dance is just even more special. When you dance to a song with a group of people and you are successful with it, it automatically becomes "your song" with those people.

Nothing compares to dance for me. It is my life and I don't go a day without watching dances on YouTube or jotting down counts and steps in a notebook after listening to a section of a song. If you have never danced before, just go to a beginner's dance class and it may just change your life, just how dance changed mine.