What Characters From My Favorite TV Shows Taught Me

"So I can finally be the girl who doesn't need a boy to be happy because I'll know how to dance.. all on my own."

157
Tumblr

I have been watching television for as long as I can remember. I started out watching Dora the Explorer in my childhood and slowly evolved to watching Disney Channel shows like Hannah Montana. I now have broadened my interests to crime shows, reality TV, sitcoms and horror shows.

TV shows have always been an influential part of my life. The characters in these shows became of role models and I learned much from them.

Here are just a few lessons characters have taught me from my favorite TV show.

Cristina Yang from "Grey’s Anatomy"

Yang was my favorite character from "Grey’s Anatomy" because she was intelligent and independent. She didn’t need anyone except for herself.

She is the epitome of someone who represents brains over beauty. Although, she was incredibly beautiful she would rather have someone notice her intelligence.

Yang shows that what is on the inside is more important than what is on the outside.

Ted Mosby from "How I Met Your Mother"

Ted Mosby is my all time favorite TV character because he is so loving and takes fate to a whole new level. My whole life I’ve heard, “Everything happens for a reason." But, I didn’t understand that quote until Ted explained it to me.

He taught me that the universe is constantly at work because it has a plan for all of us. The universe is just a big machine that is ticking away and placing everything where it is supposed to be.

This theme in the show is represented by the yellow umbrella as a symbol for Ted ending up with The Mother. If it wasn’t for him finding the umbrella, he would have never met his children’s mother.

"How I Met Your Mother" taught me that the universe works in mysterious ways.

Walter White from "Breaking Bad"

"Breaking Bad" is probably the greatest show ever created with the soundtrack, the characters, and the plot twists. The main character, Walter White, was pure genius.

He taught me to live in the moment. He taught me to not let fear get in the way of my dreams because the only real enemy of life is fear.

We are all living in this constant cycle of being scared to do what we really want to do. But, since Walter was diagnosed with cancer he began to not be fearful and to face the world and live the way he always wanted to live (even if his dream was being a criminal mastermind).

Mister Rogers from "Mister Rogers Neighborhood"

I watched "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" as a child and I mostly remember the theme song and his train set. But, as I got older I started to actually recognize the messages he was teaching me.

This one quote helps me when there are tragedies in the world. It has taught me to be more optimistic and to recognize the good in bad situations.

“It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood.”

Sister Jude from "American Horror Story: Asylum"

Jessica Lange is a brilliant actress and I loved all her roles in "American Horror Story." My favorite role of hers was in "AHS: Asylum" when she played Sister Jude.

Sister Jude taught me to be independent and represent myself as a feminist. This quote has stuck with me for a long time. As she is laying in her death bed, the main thing she tells her granddaughter is to never let a man tell her who she is or convince her that she is less equal than him.

I am lucky enough to be in a generation where women are fighting for equality, and Sister Jude is a great feminist influence in this scene.

Jennifer "JJ" Jareau from "Criminal Minds"

"Criminal Minds" was one of my favorite shows because it shows the human behind the criminal. It taught me that there is always a reason someone is the way they are.

JJ was my favorite character and this quote has stuck with me for a long time. She taught me to accept things for how they are, to learn from lessons, and when to let go.

Miley Stewart / Hannah Montana from "Hannah Montana"

Miley Cyrus has been an influential part of my life for as long as I can remember. She played Miley Stewart / Hannah Montana when I was a child and she continues to influence me today as she supports people who are homeless and the LGBTQ community.

Miley Stewart was an awesome character because she was different, a famous person who hid her true identity from the world. Miley Cyrus herself, taught me to be myself regardless of what the world would say. I have always been a Miley supporter, even in 2013 when she cut off all her hair and released “Wrecking Ball”.

Miley has always been 100% herself and I admire her for teaching not only me, but many kids to be themselves, especially in "Hannah Montana."

Adam Torres from "Degrassi"

Degrassi was an awesome show and talked about real issues teenagers have growing up such as drug abuse, sexuality and sexual assault.

Adam Turner, a female-to-male transgender, was one of my favorite characters. Adam faced a lot of bullying and discrimination for being who he was, even by his own parents. But, he eventually discovered he could be himself.

He taught me that sexuality, along with race and gender, is something a person can’t choose. We are born the way we are and we can’t judge someone for their identities.

Cookie Monster from "
Sesame Street"

"Sesame Street" was one of my favorite shows in my childhood. The Cookie Monster taught me what love is: When someone else’s happiness is your own.

Chandler Bing from "Friends"

"Friends" was perhaps the greatest show of all time. I loved all the characters equally but I loved that Chandler saw the humor in everything.

He was sarcastic and hilarious. He taught me to not take life so seriously.

Jenna Hamilton from "Awkward"

I have always related to Jenna Hamilton, the awkward girl from high school who struggled with identity crisis. There were always cliques in high school and I didn’t really belong in one.

Jenna went through a lot and finally found herself near the end of the series. She taught me that the only person you need in life is yourself and to not be so hung up on finding a boyfriend.

"I'll know how to dance all on my own," reminds me to be independent.

I have learned many things from watching TV including independence, acceptance for the way the world works, and how to have a sense of humor.

I hope other people are as inspired as I am from characters in TV shows and the amazing lessons they teach their audience.