What Celebrities Taught Me

What Celebrities Taught Me about Self-love this Valentine's Day

More and more celebrities professed their self-love this Valentine's Day, rather than showing off their loved ones.

160

Filled with cheesy cards, an excess of roses and chocolate and an overdose of lovey-dovey posts on social media, Valentine's Day can be overwhelming.

On Valentine's Day 2019, I found myself feeling down based on the number of posts I had seen on social media posted by those who wanted to show off their significant others and profess their love, making it very loud and clear for the rest of us to see.

In a battle to combat those posts, I decided to take a hiatus from social media that day, not feeding into the negativity, and just focusing on myself for the day. It seems like others, such as celebrities, had a similar idea of practicing self-love last Thursday.

Actress Jada Pinkett Smith made an effort on Instagram to profess that we must love ourselves first before we can love someone else. Whether that 'someone else' is a significant other or just a friend, it's important to love yourself and accept your flaws, perfections, and oddities for all they are before you allow someone else to love them.

In a similar fashion, British model Iskra Lawrence decided to rename "V-Day" to "U-Day."

According to an article done with Teen Vogue, Iskra said, "Valentine's Day is a strange thing in a way because it should be Valentine's Day every day."

Taking time to do things that benefit yourself and that make you feel better about yourself isn't "selfish," the article continues.

"Practicing self-love and self-care is not selfish. Listen to your heart, your gut, your mind, because you do know," Lawrence said.

Others celebrated in simple ways, still ensuring that they felt the self-love as well.

Actress Drew Barrymore posted a picture of the bathroom mirror in her trailer, decorated with heart-shaped sticky notes with words written on them that proclaim self-love.

"As for today, don't waste the day being sad about what you don't have," she captioned the post. "Be happy about what you do have. It's there. I promise."

Seeing posts like this on one's timeline can be uplifting, encouraging, and give off the confidence and positive vibes needed on a day that celebrates love. Love is like a box of chocolates (bad Forrest Gump reference, anyone?). It comes in an assortment of shapes, sizes, and flavors. It can extend beyond girlfriend/boyfriend and go to best friends, parents, siblings, and even your best four-legged friend.