What Being A Coug Means To Me

What Being A Coug Means To Me

"Once a Coug, Always a Coug."

339
What Being A Coug Means To Me
The Seattle Times

“Once a Coug, always a Coug” is a motto every Washington State University student lives by. Being a part of this university makes you a small part of a bigger community different than many others. While we all have different reasons for coming to the small town of Pullman, there is one thing we have in common. We came here to get an education and be a part of a community that has made us into one big family that comes from all different walks of life.

Being a Coug could mean something different to you than it does to me. To me, being a Coug means so many different things. My favorite thing about being a Coug, though, is the community we have created, and being a part of an organization that has led me to become a better person.

The best part of going to a division one school is going to their sporting events. Cougar Football Saturday is every Coug’s favorite time of the week. We patiently wait until September every year to flood Martin Stadium to be able to watch our favorite all-American sport. Cougar football attracts students, alumni, children, families, and young teens that are waiting for their turn patiently to occupy a spot in the student section. This sport brings this whole community together. As the seasons change, so does the weather. Rain or shine. Cloudy or, yes, even snowy, you will see everybody packed into the stadium to support our team. We are reminded of why we are here when “Back Home” by Andy Grammer comes on during half time. When the song comes on, you can hear the roar of the crowd singing along. This song perfectly describes what it is to be a Coug. No matter where life takes us after college, Pullman is home. We have all done our fair share of learning and growing in this small town, no matter if you are an undergraduate or alumni. When you bring us all together at the end of the week, not only can you feel the love we have for the game, but you can feel the love we have for each other.

Washington State University has introduced me to the Greek community. Being a part of something like this took some time to adjust to, but now I can’t imagine my life without the people I have met. We are more than the stereotype that we get from movies, we are the complete opposite. Being Greek has taught me many life skills that I don’t think I would have obtained without it. It has brought me my best friends and taught me how to consider others and not just myself. I have gained valuable leadership skills by holding a position in my house and time management skills to juggle this and school. We aren’t just individual houses that neighbor each other, we are a team. We have banded together in times of need as an entire Greek community. We have all laughed together and cried together. We are one giant family that has each other’s backs through it all. “Cougs helping Cougs” is a motto that is put into effect in our community.

I never knew coming to Washington State University would impact my life as heavily as it has. Between the sense of community and togetherness at football games to becoming a part of my Greek chapter, this school will make anybody grow and become better. Once you come here, you join this family.

This is what being a Coug means to me. What does it mean to you?