What Are You Listening To?

I have recently rediscovered my love of podcasts and I am here to recommend a couple for your consideration. My first podcast was Welcome To Night Vale and I discovered that through Tumblr. It in turn led me to discover a few new ones. Actually, the newest podcast I have fallen in love with was recommended by a Tumblr friend! Anyways, to podcasts. If you like stories and listening to them being told to you then podcasts are for you. If you just want to try something new in terms of entertainment then let me recommend podcasts. If you just don't know then you can consider my short list here, or skip this listicle. Basically though, a podcast is just an auditory form of entertainment like music except that it's usually stories being told.

1. Welcome To Night Vale
-This is literally the gateway podcast. WTNV is a twice a month community update from a small desert community where strange things happen. The updates are presented to the listener by Cecil Palmer, the resident journalist for Night Vale community radio. He is in love with Carlos the Scientist and loves his weird little town. There a number of interesting characters who live in the small desert town ranging from The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home to John Peters - you know, the farmer. With every release of a community update there is also the weather report which is a new piece of music every time. A lot of strange things happen in this town, but you are never bored as a listener. I highly recommend it. If you like H.P. Lovecraft and all the weird that goes with it then this is the podcast for you.

2. The Thrilling Adventure Hour
-This is a podcast that has been finished fro a little while now, but that doesn't mean that you can't still listen to it. This is a podcast done in the style of old time radio. There are multiple stories being told in this series, two of which I highly recommend and which are the most popular. This podcast is also one which uses multiple guest voices as a great treat for listeners.
~Beyond Belief: This is all about two married mediums, Frank and Sadie Doyle. They are rich people, quite famous and also quite in love with each other. Their love for each other is rivaled by their love of alcohol. Frank and Sadie Doyle also see ghosts. If you like stories of two loving people who help others while also getting drunk then this is the podcast for you. I have laughed aloud many times while listening to this and recommend it highly.
~Sparks Nevada, Marshall on Mars: This is literally The Lone Ranger in space. If you like a ridiculous Marshall who is also ridiculously good at his job at defending others then this is the podcast for you. This podcast sees Sparks Nevada partnered with Croach the Tracker as they go about serving justice on the red plains of Mars. Filled with comedy and amazing characters this too has made me laugh aloud.

3. The Penumbra Podcast
-This is the podcast that was recommended to me through Tumblr. Like The Thrilling Adventure Hour this podcast has multiple stories being told, the primary one being that of Juno Steel. Other stories are short, one-off tales with a huge range. One of them I recall dealing with two brothers hunting a Janus beast and running into a knight along the way who is also after the same creature.
~Like Sparks Nevada, Juno Steel also takes place on Mars. It is told from the perspective of Juno Steel himself. He is private investigator who has quite the life. Juno handles all sorts of cases and has quite the mouthy secretary. He's also in love but won't admit it. If you choose to listen to this podcast get ready to yell at a fictional character. Juno is infuriating, but the podcast is some of the coolest bit of audio entertainment that I have listened too. The voice of Juno Steel is also one of the coolest dudes ever, responding to tweets and following back his followers.

This is but a short list of podcasts that I would recommend to people. If you're interested in some new media and entertainment I think you should check out podcasts. They're free and all you have to do is listen. If you have a long drive, a long wait, or anything with long silences then please consider podcasts. Believe me, music can get boring after a while. Podcasts however do not. Give it a shot and see if you like it. If not, there's no harm done.