What Are The 23 Secret Flavors in Dr. Pepper?

Here's What We Know And What We Think We Know

13260

The word from Dr. Pepper HQ is that the drink is "a unique blend of natural and artificial flavors," 23 flavors in all. The 23 is stamped on every can and bottle as a symbol of the beverage.

While the drink was established in 1885, it gained national attention in 1904 at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, and it did so with those 23 flavors. People have tried guessing the ingredients ever since.

The official drpepper.com is no help in the quest, stating only: "Ingredients: carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate (preservative), caffeine."

So what are the 23 flavors? Here are the ones most commonly agreed upon:

1. Cherry

2. Cola

https://pixabay.com/en/kilgore-texas-mural-adverti...

3. Lemon

https://pixabay.com/en/lemon-squeezer-lemon-juice-citrus-609273/

5. Vanilla

From there, it depends on the fan who thinks they've pieced it together. Commonly suggested are the following:

• Amaretto
  • Almond
  • Anise
  • Apricot
  • Birch
  • Blackberry
  • Black Licorice
  • Caramel
  • Carrot
  • Citrus
  • Clove
  • Coriander
  • Ginger
  • Grape
  • Juniper
  • Lime
  • Molasses
  • Nutmeg
  • Orange
  • Peach
  • Prickly Ash
  • Prune
  • Plum
  • Root Beet
  • Rum
  • Raspberry
  • Sarsaparilla
  • Spikenard
  • Tomato
(Note: That's more than 23.) Some combination of these and the five mentioned earlier are probably a good Bingo. That's because superfans of the drink have been at this for years, and the lists they've compiled are compelling.

The actual recipe? It's locked up in two different banks in Dallas, Texas, according to legend, broken into two halves.