What America Needs Now

What America Needs Now

Spoiler-alert: it's not another politician.

18
What America Needs Now
Louise Myers: Visual Social Media

It's no secret that we have an upcoming election on our hands, and it's an even better-known fact that this one has the potential to be disastrous any way you spin it. My initial reaction was, My first time being eligible to vote in a presidential election, and THESE are the people I have to pick from?? It seems that America is slowly sinking itself deeper and deeper into darkness (or maybe not so slowly). So what do we do about it?

The truth is, there's only one thing that can redeem us -- as a country, as a nation, as a universe, and as individuals. That one thing is not politicians or media or war or peace or people or anything that our society today would select at first choice. That one thing is bigger than our mortality or our jobs or our dreams or our families or, well, anything.

That one thing is Jesus.

Yes, you read right, Jesus. Now I know that there are some of you out there that are probably rolling your eyes at this point, but you know what? That doesn't matter to me. Because the truth is that Jesus was a real person. The truth is that there is more scientific and historical evidence to back up the Bible than anything else, including evolution (which, by the way, was rejected by Darwin near the end of his life because it contradicted the scientific laws of thermodynamics; little scientific 411 for ya, a theory, which is an inconclusive hypothesis, CANNOT contradict a law, which is an irrefutable piece of scientific fact. http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?cat...). By the by, if you don't believe me about the historical or scientific evidence, just look here:

http://www.equip.org/article/biblical-archaeology-...

http://www.bethinking.org/jesus/ancient-evidence-f...

Beyond that, the truth is that salvation is a real thing, and it's probably about the most powerful thing you can possibly experience. The truth is that miracles do happen -- just ask my 3-month-premature-lungs-collapsed-disabled-from-birth-was-given-virtually-no-chance-of-survival-and-yet-she's-here-and-thriving-graduated-on-the-honor-roll-and-has-made-a-national-television-appearance sister and I. The truth is that if we do not believe and stand for something, we will fall and be trampled by this imperfect life.

Besides that, WHY is it considered so bad to have faith in Christ? WHY don't people want to believe? WHY are those who do believe seen as dumb or delusional or freaks? WHY?? What is wrong with having faith in something that gives you hope for the future, peace with the past, and strength for the present? What's wrong with looking for good? What is so wrong with believing?

Yes, there are bad times, but guess what? Not once in the Bible is fairness listed as a promise. Also, bad things are the work of Satan, "the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2)" who roams this earth, NOT God. The reason he "lets" them happen? Free will, our own imperfect and sinful nature, and the fact that God wants us to depend on Him and He is using these trials for a greater good. You can't deny that sometimes we inflict things on ourselves because of bad choices; but even when we don't, consider that maybe these struggles are making us who we are, maybe they are leading to a great and worthwhile payoff, maybe they will help us relate to others in a way that no one else can, and definitely that we don't and won't know all the answers, so stop trying to find an answer to everything if it just won't come to you. Just know that it is for a purpose.

One final thing: if I (or another Christian/Christians) am wrong about God, then I'm wrong; I die, my life is over, end of story. HOWEVER,If those who don't believe are wrong, then not only was their life wasted, but their eternity is lost in Hell when it could have been spent in Heaven, and trust me, Hell IS bad -- just check Revelation.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior." -Romans 8:38-39

Wake up, America. The stakes are too high for us to bury our heads in the sand. Besides, it's not as if we have anything to lose in our current state by believing. In this imperfect and broken society, we need something that is Perfect, Someone with the power to make us whole again.