What Do We Actually Learn From Our Parents?

Are you prepared?

66
Emily Elise Connor

After 19 years I have walked in the footsteps of my parents and been so graciously taken care of. What exactly have I learned from these many years of roaming around? Well, my parents have taught me morals, life views, wrongs and rights, and led me to live a life through my trust and faith in God. I am not saying I have executed these tasks perfectly, but I try my best to always work hard and help others along the way. When I get in a rut and feel as if I cannot do anything, I lean to my parents guidance to reassure me I can do anything and everything I set my mind to. While it is very difficult when you just move out of your parents and you are trying to balance work, school, and life in general, always remember why you have made it as far as you have. There is no question God has led me this far, but without the unconditional love and care from my mother and father I couldn't imagine where I would be.

While both parents have contributed to my life in ways that are unexplainable, each has done so in different ways. My mother has provided me with the nurturing characteristics such as how much I care, how compassionate I am, how to love and treat animals and people the correct way. My mom has been a nurse for over 25 years and I am so blessed to have such a selfless and loving mother. The way she cares for people and devotes her time and attention to them to make sure they are as comfortable as possible during their pregnancy and birth is beyond words. She is an amazing nurse and although I have not been a patient myself, I know she is because of all the notes she receives from patients, kind words of past patients in public, and most of all because of the way she takes care of me. I do not have to know first hand that she is an amazing nurse, because I believe she is willing to give her all to the women she cares for. Now one thing my mother has taught me which is a bit of a downfall that she's a nurse is perseverance and pushing through pain.

All my life, sports have played a major role as well as my academics and my mother hasn't allowed me to give up on either. I am now on my path to become an orthopedic surgeon and while many will laugh, it's my dream and my mother's support and love makes me want to achieve it that much more. The field I want to go into, is very difficult for women but my mom has always told me and written on several notes and cards to me "Always trust in God and follow the path he leads you on" and I will do just that. I believe I am here for a purpose, and I would love nothing more than to achieve my dreams while making my mom proud as well. All of her sleepless days and nights have always been for me and my siblings, for our success and futures and she couldn't have done a better job at helping us each achieve our dreams. To add on to my mother's great support and amazing personality, she has taught me how to love and treat a man. My parents have been married for 35 years just this past month and I have witnessed many ups and downs. Let's be honest, no marriage or relationship is perfect, if it is then there is something not right. Generally some fights are so petty they serve no purpose and others it just shows that someone cares, even if it does come off as anger they are just unsure as to how to express their concern. I feel many of my parents issues have been just that, but what I do know is I have seen them admit to being out of place, with good reason. My parents have shown me dedication and hard work in their relationship and what sacrifices are and what it means to grow in spiritual faith. These things may seem trivial to most but to me it means everything. I am getting married in just two months and without my parents showing me these attributes to a successful marriage and relationship, I would never have imagined marrying at 20 years old. They have prepared me as much as possible, to make sure I know what my wifely duties are and how to take care of my husband and our family (if and when we decide to start one).

My father has also taught me many lessons that coincide with my mother's teachings. I find myself acting like a miniature of my father: personality, attitude, odd habits, and my order of life. I stick to my specific ways and order to perform tasks and I find that my father does as well, I also have a habit of talking to myself, full conversations too. While my dad doesn't have a bad attitude, he has a very strong and stubborn one which I have most noticeably been accused of being just like him. I love my dad's personality and I'm certainly not the only one, many people tell me they just love how funny my dad is and I generally chuckle and say, "Yeah he's something alright, he thinks he's a comedian" and they respond and talk about how great he is. I know my dad likes to joke and "pull my chain" which is truly okay with me because life is much less enjoyable when everyone is always so serious. I love that daddy jokes with me, his light heartedness is so much fun. Daddy is always working and generally our time together means me sitting in the shop with him while he works. I admire his hardworking attitude because if I didn't have a dad that works super hard, I works be so lost. He definitely takes care of his family and loved every one of us the same and I'm so entirely blessed to have him. From him, I have learned how a man wants to be treated by his wife, friends, and family and I'm so happy I've been told and shown these things. Daddy has always given me advice in life issues down to the most petty issue and had good reasoning behind his viewpoint. He's a very logical and extraordinarily smart man, I've never met someone who can do anything you ask, to fix anything and everything he puts his hands on. He truly is so very remarkable and one day when I reach my goal of becoming a surgeon I hope to feel half as smart as he is. He has also taught me to be strong an independent and have manners to people of all ages. I was raised in a strict mannerly household and at times I will slip up and forget a "yes ma'am" or "please" but for the most part I strive to treat people with upmost respect, even if I don't receive the same respect in return. Not only were my manners a main focus, but also my strength and independence. I have not completely executed these two attributes but I strive to.

Being strong doesn't mean being able to lift a table, but to always have faith even when things at tough and I feel like giving up. My father, nor my mother raised a coward or a quitter, I am just as strong if not more than my neighbor. Being strong both physically, emotionally, and mentally. I am very mentally strong, I'm not boasting but I know my strengths and always having faith in myself is not a thing I lack. I will always push myself to be the best me I can be, not better than my neighbor, but to perform at my highest level possible. I am a highly independent teenager, young adult, whatever you wish to call me. I started at a young age to try and take care of my responsibilities, no I do not pay for all of my things but I try to pay for as many things as I can. I juggle paying my bills, rent, going to school full time taking 17 hours or more, and even contributing to my college tuition as much as I can. I don't do all of these things because I have to, but because I want to, I want to take some of the load off of my parents because they have done their part and done it extraordinarily at that so now is my time to give back. Although it is part of growing up, it still stinks but I'm okay with it because I may as well start now.

Both of my parents are a critical part of my life and I am so very blessed to have two happy parents. It's so difficult to put how amazing my parents are in words. I am entirely grateful for all of the opportunities I've had thus far in my life. Lord knows how much my parents mean to me and that's what matters. They have been my guiding hand for all that I've done and God has protected me all the way. I know I am not the only child who has been blessed with amazing parents and I also know I am blessed to have my parents because some do not. I do not take my parents for granted and never will, I hope every child that has parents will not either.