These Scrubs Have Seen It All

These Scrubs Have Seen It All

What about the Scrubs?

20
These Scrubs Have Seen It All
Charlsey Dillon

Nursing. A career I have had my heart set on since I was little and I am now pursing my dream by being a Nursing major at the University of Central Arkansas. My passion has always been people, and to help them in any way possible whether that was in the simple way of giving out a hug or going the extra mile and tending to their every need. As I got older, it was clear to me that following in my parents' footsteps of being Nurses was the best solution for me to fulfill that calling. As the weeks pass by, and each class gets harder, I have caught myself struggling and doubting the potential career path I have chosen.

I am doing what every Nursing student has faced, and I have come across the statements of "I'm not cut out for this" or "there's no way I will be able to pass these next four years," but this is where God stepped in.

The other night, I couldn't go to sleep, so I did what any college student who likes to clean does, right? I went downstairs and began working on the laundry. I know, pretty lame. But somehow doing laundry relieves stress for me during the random hours of the night. As I reached into the washing machine to pull out the clean items of clothing, I quickly decided on what needed to be put in the dryer and what needed to be hung up. After a few minutes I went by, I ran across my parents' scrubs. I neatly hung their pants, then their scrub tops, and started thinking about life in general — whether that was about my future or what I needed to do the next day. But God grabbed my attention just by looking at each pair of scrubs, and I stopped doing the laundry.

I began to think that these scrubs have been through a lot whether they are new or worn thin. These scrubs have seen it all. They have been there when someone was hurt, when someone's tears fell to the floor, when someone was bleeding, when someone was concerned, when someone needed answers,when someone needed prayers, when someone needed shots or even long hours of surgery. These scrubs that my parents suit up in daily are not just made for all of the hospital employees to match, these scrubs tell the story of who they are and why they chose to do what they do. These scrubs have been in ER rooms, intensive care units, next to bedsides, and OR's. These scrubs have been there through charting down records, walking countless number of patients in and out of the doors. These scrubs are what identify my parents as Nurses to others around them. I caught myself wondering "What is it about these scrubs that have made such an impact on me within just a few seconds?"

God made it clear to me that I was placed in this career path not for myself, not for my family, but for the patients I have yet to meet. Just by hanging up a pair of scrubs, God told me not to give up on what is to come. Keep moving forward, stay positive and confident in the career field He has positioned me in, and run with it until I someday get the privilege to own my very own pair of scrubs just like my parents.

So whether you are in Business, Criminology, Dental Hygiene, Physical Therapy, Accounting, or even Nursing and you are doubting your dream career, I encourage you to stop worrying and allow God to reveal to you that you are in the right career path just as He did for me in the most simple way.