I Went To A Concert By Myself (And It Was Awesome)

Normally, my first reaction is to take out my phone and ignore everyone.

400
Barn Images

Concerts are a thing that most people look forward to in their lives. People always get excited about taking a couple friends to go see one of their favorite singers perform live. There's nothing like the rush you feel when you're a few feet from a person who's album you play over and over again. There's nothing like meeting your favorite artist at a meet-and-greet. There's nothing like reliving those few hours with your fellow concert-goers just minutes after you leave the venue.

Going to a concert by yourself however is very different from going with a group.

I recently went to go see Kane Brown--a new up and coming country artist whose voice melts your soul and whose tattoos make you drool. I've gone to many concerts before this, but I've always gone with my best friends or my family. I've never been alone at a concert. I'm in a town currently where those friends that normally party all night with me at these type of events, are too far away to make the trip. But I wasn't going to let that stop me. I was so excited to see Kane Brown live and even more excited to meet him that I pushed my fears of going to a concert alone aside.

I was standing in line for the show and again I was by myself. Normally my first reaction is to take out my phone and ignore everyone. Now this may sound petty and stupid but I was there four hours before the concert started due to the meet and greet. I wasn't going to spend that entire time wasting my battery when I knew I needed to use it to record video and take pictures throughout the night. So instead I did the unthinkable and reached out to people in line and talked to them. We shared stories and small talk and it was actually entertaining. I'll never see these people again and for some reason that made it all the better.

When I was about to meet Kane, the manager started giving me the low-down as if I was with a group and then stops and looks at me and simply states "Oh, you're by yourself." This made me self-conscious for a split second and then I realized this is something I just needed to go with. I had a conversation with one of my favorite artists and that's something I'll never forget.

During the actual concert, I was afraid of being pushed around because I was by myself, but I just had to keep telling myself that I didn't get a VIP pass so I could let someone else take my front row spot. I waited for the concert to start and just let myself have fun. I let go. Normally I would be conscious of what my friend was doing and if they were having a good time, but this time, all I had to worry about was myself. I allowed myself to have fun. I allowed myself to dance, to sing along, to go crazy when Kane took off his jacket and showed us his amazing tattoos. I just let go and that was the best thing I have ever done. I enjoyed every minute of that concert because I allowed myself to have, the type of fun that I may have been too self-conscious about if I had gone out with my friends.

Going to a concert by myself was an amazing experience. It tested me to see how much I have grown as a person and I grew even more because of the experience. It's something I wouldn't trade for the world and wouldn't mind doing again. Don't get me wrong, going to concerts with your friends is always fun, but don't discount going by yourself as anything less than a great time. It's incredible.