Why I Went To College, Even Though I Hate School

Putting Your Selfish Wants Aside To Pursue God's Plan

452

Everyone has different reasons for going to college after high school. For some it could be for their parents, maybe for the parties and social aspect, or maybe for their future selves and children’s lives.

As I sit here trying to study for a biology test with a paper that’s due tomorrow hanging over my head, I can’t help but ask myself, why am I here? Why am I, a girl who absolutely despises school, coming to college where I have to “school” for another four years? I would definitely rather be on a plane going somewhere, or traveling in a country half way around the world, yet here I am writing another paper and studying for another test.

As I sit here putting off another paper and complaining about another test, it dawns on me just how selfish I am really being. Everyone has different reasons for coming to college, and for me it is not because my parents made me, or for the social aspect (even though it is pretty great), and definitely not because I wanted to. My reasoning for coming to college is for one reason and one reason only, because God has called me to it.

At the age of twelve God called me to serve in Ethiopia. Through prayer and traveling back to Ethiopia, God has called me to serve there full time in the medical field. So as I sit here writing yet another paper, I’m not doing it for my parents, or even for myself, but I am doing it for the thousands of children who will die today from preventable diseases.

As I sit here struggling through all of my school work wishing I was somewhere else, I have the thought of why I’m here in the back of my mind. So here’s to the struggling student… you’re not alone. As you struggle through piles and piles of homework and studying, I encourage you to always remember that God has called you here and WHY he has called you here. He has called you to college for a reason and as long as you fulfill his calling on your life, he will make a way for you.

So if you’re anything like me, sitting here dreading my homework and studying, know that God has a plan for your life. He knows exactly what he’s doing and this time of college is preparing you to do amazing things through him and for him. There are things much bigger in this world than just what I want to do. As much as I would love to give up on my school work, I know that doing my school work and getting my degree is benefitting things way bigger than myself. So here’s to the college students, like myself, who hate school. Don’t struggle through your homework for yourself and your personal benefit, do it for something much bigger than yourself.