In The End, It Always Matters

In The End, It Always Matters

Remembering and mourning Chester Bennington.

47
In The End, It Always Matters
Chester Bennington

Just two months after the genre's beloved Chris Cornell passed away, rock music has suffered another great loss. On July 20, 2017, TMZ reported that Chester Bennington, of the iconic rap and rock band Linkin Park had passed away via suicide. Chris and Chester were good friends, and it is no coincidence that the same day Chester took his life would have been Chris' 53rd birthday. Two legendary and iconic voices were taken from this world too soon within just months of one another; both plagued by demons no one else could see. Suicide is a terrible tragedy. We will never forget Chester.

Linkin Park's most recent album, 'One More Light' was just released this past May and rose to a number one spot on the Billboard 200. The album, which diverged from the band's iconic grunge and rock sound, features Chester's meaningful lyrics, Mike Shinoda's smooth rapping and the usual unique beats Linkin Park often brings to the table. A music video for a song off the album, 'Talking to Myself' had debuted the morning Chester's death was announced. The song coincidentally speaks of the challenging aspect of talking to someone enduring a tough situation, not unlike the feelings Chester was bottling inside.

The band was set to embark on a major U.S. tour beginning next week to promote the new album but they have decided to cancel all the dates in lieu of recent events. Despite Chester's history of substance abuse problems, childhood abuse, and transparency concerning his mental illness, his death came as a shock to not only fans and friends, but also to his family and bandmates. No one witnessed any signs, making Chester's suicide that much more heartbreaking.

We have all suffered a great loss. Beginning in 2000, with the release of their most-recognized album, Hybrid Theory, Linkin Park has been a household name for the past decade. Breaking boundaries with their hip-hop-infused lyrics mixed with rock and instruments and electronic sounds, the band has had six number one albums and more hits than you can count. They've collaborated with artists across all types of genres, toured with artists all over the world, and continued to remain as iconic as they were in 2000.

Chester Bennington, although maybe not known by name to some, has been a familiar and comforting voice to millions of people all over the world who have before or are now dealing with issues of their own. His calming and understanding voice has helped people not only understand their feelings surrounding their issues, but has helped them conquer and cope with their problems as well.

I'll never forget where I was when I heard the news. I've never felt such pain in regards to a musician death before. Immediately, I began having chest pains as my brain desperately tried to process the information it had been fed. Just ten minutes after everything sank in, I found myself crying my eyes out while my mother embraced me. Although I am devastated for the families, bandmates, friends and others fans who have to endure this tragedy, I am not attempting to make Chester's passing about myself.

The truth is this: Chester Bennington was a legend. His death is not about you or me. It's about all of us; all of us are mourning the man who not only served as a voice to help us equip ourselves with the tools needed to escape and endure our mental illness, physical illness and all the emotions surrounding those things, but also one of the brightest stars the music scene has ever seen.

Many of us have been listening to the band since they made their debut, and even those who started late were able to resonate with some part of some song that gave them hope for a better, stronger tomorrow. The mere idea that Chester's suicide was precipitated, planned out to a T in regards to details, and unexpected to all makes his passing more painful.

Suicide is a force that plagues even the brightest of people. Though Chester dealt with a history of abuse, anger and depression, he held one of the most passionate voices both within and outside of music. He was the embodiment of surviving what life throws at you today only to throw it right back tomorrow. More than a beacon of hope, Chester and Linkin Park were able to save thousands, if not millions, of lives with their music.

I honestly hope none of you ever have to experience the dark demons and shadows that suicide invites to the party no one planned; suicide stays, even after it has completed its goal. Chris and Chester believed they could not face their demons any longer, and escape was impossible. Though we loved them, their music, and their voices, please know that they were wrong.

No one will ever forget the impact both artists had on this world, on the music industry, and on the millions of lives they touched with their words and music. These feelings are escapable. It is completely okay and acceptable not to be okay. Please know that you are always loved and always supported.

If you or someone you know is struggling with the news of Chester's death or something else serious, please tell someone. Call the suicide hotline, which is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255. You can also chat with experts or text the crisis line by messaging HOME to 741-741.

You are never alone. Please do not let Chester's death catalyze your dark feelings; there is hope out there for all of us. In the end, it always matters. In the end, you always matter.

Chester Bennington, I am so sorry you felt this was the only way out. You were truly an icon and idol to many of us, and we cannot thank you enough for that. We hope you are at peace and in a better place now.

When my time comes
Forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
And don't resent me
And when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory
Leave out all the rest