Welcome to the Tutorial

Welcome to the Tutorial

A Set Up and Run Down of the Article

9
Welcome to the Tutorial
Zelda : Ocarina of Time - Owl Theme (Music box remix); SYGMX

Welcome one and all readers of the vast internet archives! My name is Gamerman and I am here to start up the Gamerman Weekly.

This article has one distinct purpose, to bring the gaming and fringe nerd culture into a closer relationship with the mainstream culture, online and in reality. This attempt of mediating is built on the principles of mutual understanding and respect. It is my dream to have the general public see hobbies such as, gaming, anime, and experimental science, as neutral and personally fulfilling pursuits. My main opponent will be those (*cough* mainstream news media) that claim these cultures as largely detrimental to society. That is why I humbly thank everyone for taking the time to read this article, for my job is useless and a waste without the support of people’s readership.

Here’s the game plan:

The article will shift focus on a weekly schedule. The core interests that will be featured are gaming culture, anime culture, experimental science, and fringe nerd culture. Each week will have one story from each area in an order. The order will be:

1. Game review

This weekly segment is mostly meant for the gaming audience of this article. People that want to hear the opinions of others about new and upcoming games. Now, I understand that the culture of reviewing games is a largely skewed practice, looking at you IGN. But my system is simple. There will be no numbered scale. My scaled opinion is divided in two simple categories, either a buy or a no-buy. A major purpose of this segment is also to promote that people read reviews before buying games. We don’t want another great game crash. I promise to do my best on bringing a useful and feel-good mix of subjective and objective opinions in my reviews.

2. Gaming culture spotlight

Gaming culture spotlight will be a segment with the purpose in bringing the attention of the audience to a recent event and or trend in gaming culture that I believe represents what gaming culture is about; comradery, inclusion, charity, and overall good sense. This is to show gaming culture in a good light. I realize it is very biased, however this is my article, and I’m not getting paid, so I’ll be as biased as I want.

However, that does not exclude specials from time to time in presenting negative events and trends in gaming culture. Those specials are to dispel any notions that such events and trends are what gaming culture is about. As I believe, every social group’s representative majority is the loudest minority, which may not have the majority’s best interest in mind.

3. Anime Rush

I have a confession. I have only recently become an otaku, Japanese description for anime/general nerd. But, I believe that anime has a lot to offer the fringe nerd culture, and should not be brushed aside as a hobby that only neck bearded, living with parents, loud mouth, bigoted, over-grown man-babies follow. It is a beautiful art with an even more beautiful and passionate fan base. This segment will mostly focus on current anime news. However, I will also cover major anime conventions around the world, and also news about ongoing trends within the anime fan-base, and possibly within anime production, if I get enough industry insight.

4. Oldie but Goldie Game Re-review

I have played so many old games. Basically, I didn’t start playing the newer stuff until around the age of 10. My upbringing was on the original versions of Super Mario, CastleVannyia, Pokemon Gold, and REALLY old platformers. So I will be scouring the web for emulators of these fantastic specimens from a different time, put on a bit of a sentimental mood, nostalgic lighting, and present to everyone a piece of original gaming glory.

5. Let’s Learn Some Science!

It has come to my attention that the pursuit of science, the very fabric of its honored being, is under attack. It comes in many forms, from lack of attention and care, to universal funding cuts and outright criticism of the profession! Experimental sciences, such as genetic engineering, celestial science, and even social sciences, are shouldering the brunt. I feel it is my duty to provide my word in the defense of this noble passion and educate people on the necessity of continuing its existence. I will write a weekly segment on stories of breakthroughs in the field of science. I want to convince more and more people to actively help the progression of science, to prove its worth a hundred times over.

6. Looking into the Fringe…

This segment will be a mystery each week, but with a nerdy focus. I might have a piece planned for it days in advance, or I’ll pick up something an hour before hand, so obscure that would make the social practice of gophering seem normal. Maybe that will be the first topic, only the fringe knows…

Looking back on this, I can tell the Gamerman Weekly might be a runaway success, or a piece of literature that fades in and out of existence faster than it takes my hope for a Half-Life 3 to be crushed. This should be fun, I’ll give it my best shot, and win my Pulitzer. Or a couple of new readers, both are great.

Thanks again,

--G