Welcome To A Once In A Lifetime Experience

This year new internationals came, representing over 14 countries, including France, Brazil, Ireland, Spain, Mexico, Ukraine, Taiwan and many other amazing countries. Each and every student that came this year brought something new to us, their smile, charisma, the joy for arts, music and movies, their vast knowledge on religion and sports. We are glad and lucky to have them with us.

8
Claudia Pires

Welcome to a brand new year Scots. New year, new faces and new things. And even though I am really happy to be considered an upperclassman and I can finally leave in a building that is younger than me and with elevators, I am more than excited to welcome the new international students at Maryville College. As you guys probably know (and should know) Maryville has a great history with international students and there is even a room and a day celebrating one of the most promising international students ever (not me thou, yet). Kim Takahashi, proved that no matter how hard your life might be there is always a silver lining and there is always a way to make a difference.

For us internationals, coming to Maryville College it is, for most, a dream coming true and for all a chance to leave our mark on something we believe in. On the first day of orientation we are told the tales of the petit guy who did amazing and big things and we keep in our head that we have to be at least as cool as his hair was. This year new internationals came, representing over 14 countries, including France, Brazil, Ireland, Spain, Mexico, Ukraine, Taiwan and many other amazing countries. Each and every student that came this year brought something new to us, their smile, charisma, the joy for arts, music and movies, their vast knowledge on religion and sports, ( there was even a few that knew where my country was located and the name of our most cherished musician, so I pretty much won the jackpot)

These new international students are expecting to have the time of their lives( and they will), it will be an experience they will remember forever, in the same way they will always be remembered by everyone they got in touch with. Of course, that staying here by themselves in a different country, culture, timezone and for some different language will be tough, there will be days they will miss their home and complain about Pearson’s food. There will be times where they will feel lost, but also there will be times of joy and games at Ihouse. And in the end they will want to do it all over again.

So, to the new international students, when you finish your year here remember this, every year new students will come and go, flags will be hung and removed from Bartlett hall but in the end what matters is what you leave here, no need to hand-make 300.000 bricks, but leave a piece of yourself on other people. Smile to the ups and downs and enjoy the cultural shock as much as you can, sure it will be hard but it will be so worth it. And when you go back to your country you can brag how awesome (I was) your experience here at Maryville was.

PS: welcome, welcome to the best days of your experience as a student and a growing adult. And remember you're unique,

x

The girls from the unknown paradise