becoming an adult

Welcome To Adulthood, Now Start Acting Like An Actual Adult

Real life, coming at ya.

92
Julia Price

As we get older and enter into the world of adulthood we should be starting to see, or even personally experiencing, events that will quickly make us more mature. In my opinion, that's a good thing.

I think it's time we start acting more like adults rather than claiming that we are one without putting forth any effort to care for ourselves.

I am not saying that you should pack up and move out of your parent's house immediately (if that's even the case). It's perfectly OK if you're still living under your parent's roof. I hope that it is the place where we always feel safe and welcome, but it starts getting unacceptable when you're 18+ and aren't taking any responsibility or any steps whatsoever toward being an adult.

I am just as guilty as the next person for completely relying on my parent's to care for me.

I'll be the first to admit that I have totally taken advantage of "Daddy's money" on multiple occasions, but the older that I've gotten the more independent that I crave to be. I know that a lot of my friends are in the same boat. The one where you're craving a taste of adulthood, yet you don't do anything about it.

My advice: put yourself out there and let yourself experience what it's like to be on your own.

Honestly, you'd be surprised at how many people I know that are 18+ and still refuse to schedule their own appointments. Honestly, I used to be the same way, but I've come to realize that I've got to grow up at some point or another, and I'll have to face things much scarier than a simple phone call to the dentist.

If you're going to school and don't have a job, your parents probably pay your bills too, and that's OK. The least we could do is pay for our own groceries though, or stop going out as much if it's coming from our parent's pockets.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: I am young, and I don't have to have everything figured out yet, but I should be putting forth more effort than I do in order to gain some sort of feeling of the independence that I want.

I am just scared of being labeled as an adult when I don't even have the first idea of how I'm supposed to care for myself. I feel too young. I feel like I don't always have the right mindset. I feel irresponsible most days, yet technically I am completely and totally responsible for my own self.

That's why I'm trying, and I feel like others should too (if you're feeling the same way as me), to take those little steps towards independence, and EARNING the label that is, an adult.