33 Weird Laws That Still Exist In 33 States That Prove That Even The Normal States Are Crazy

You won’t believe what laws are still around...

1857
Good Free Photos

The United States is made up of an eclectic mix of states with very interesting laws, and while many laws that make sense, there are a plethora of bizarre rules that have been forgotten, but still exist in the books. Some of these crazy laws were created so long ago that people forgot they even exist. Here are some of my favorites, and look carefully because you may have broken a few already.

1. Alabama

Wrongful death Attorneys in Birmingham say you could face the death penalty for putting salt on a railroad track. This is because the train could derail or attract cattle into the tracks, both outcomes are not looking good. On a lighter note, you can’t make or throw confetti in the state, you also can’t spray silly string. No fun at all.

2. Arizona

It's illegal to spit in Goodyear. You could get fined up to six months of jail time and a fine of more than $2,000. You also can't wake a sleeping bear to take a photo. How often do you run into a bear in Arizona, though?

3. Arkansas

As insane as this may sound, you are not allowed to mispronounce the state’s name, basically check yourself before you wreck yourself, honey.

4. California

Peacocks have the right of way in Arcadia, I wouldn’t be able to pinpoint where Arcadia is on the map but who can? You also can’t play frisbee at a Los Angeles beach without the permission of the lifeguard... guess I'm more of a law-breaker than I thought.

5. Colorado

It's illegal to drink and ride a horse, so don't hop on your pony after having too many drinks. You've been formally warned.

6. Connecticut

This state takes their pickles very seriously. A pickle can't be considered a pickle unless it bounces. Silly string is also banned in the state, but wait, there's a reason... in the mid-1990s, a group of children ran up to a police officer and sprayed him with silly string during the Apple Harvest Festival. So, they banned the product to keep it from ever happening again.

7. Florida

Lawmakers in the state will crush your fruit entrepreneur dreams because selling oranges in the Miami area is against the law. In fact, Fort Lauderdale attorneys say you could spend up to 30 days in jail for trying to make money off the fruit.

8. Georgia

The state fair can't get too wild. If you make a disturbing sound at the family event you could end up with a small but annoying fine.

9. Hawaii

It is illegal to work at the same company with your twin sister or brother. I’m guessing this is to avoid confusion, but really?

10. Idaho

It is against the law to live in a dog kennel if you're not a dog. It’s also illegal to ride a motorcycle after the age of 88, so let’s hope by that age all you want to do is lounge and play bingo.

11. Illinois

It is actually legal for a minor to drink in this state, as long as they are enrolled in a culinary program. To test the wines that go in their pasta sauce, of course. Gotta start them young, am I right?

12. Indiana

If you run into a horse on the road, they have the right of way. It is illegal to pass one on the street.

13. Kansas

It's illegal for pedestrians to cross the road without tail lights -- sounds reasonable enough. But wait, there's more... the state also made it illegal to fish using your bare hands.

14. Kentucky

Having a car wash fundraiser for a group of teenage girls sounds like an idea from a teen movie, but in Kentucky, it’s illegal for women to wear a small bikini on any Kentucky highway. However, this law does not apply to someone under 60 pounds or over 200 pounds. Or someone who is accompanied by an officer and is armed with a club. Seriously?

15. Louisiana

You know that hilarious pizza prank people pull? Where you order a pizza to someone’s house without them knowing? Well in Louisiana, it’s illegal. In fact, you could face up to $500 in fines if you get caught.

16. Michigan

Cheating on your significant other can come with a price in Michigan. Adultery is illegal in the state, but only punishable upon a complaint by the affected husband or wife.

17. Minnesota

Looking for a ride? Think again. Hitchhiking in Minnesota is illegal. Just order an Uber! Right?

18. Mississippi

You can face a fine of up to $100 if you are caught using foul language in public. You speak to your mother with that mouth?

19. Nebraska

If you dare to sneeze, cough or even fart during church in Nebraska, you will not only get judged, but it’s technically a crime.

20. New Jersey

If you get caught drinking and driving, you are no longer allowed to have custom license plates. Sorry, it's the law.

21. New Mexico

Officials made the sexually explicit material in "Romeo and Juliet" illegal -- they even ordered 400 words to be cut from the book. Shame!

22. New York

Trying to get divorced? Well, it might make it a little more difficult in New York. It is illegal to get a divorce citing irreconcilable differences unless you both agree to those reasons.

23. North Carolina

Bingo games can’t last longer than five hours. They also can only happen twice a week. Yawn!

24. North Dakota

Exterminating pigeons or other birds without a permit is considered a crime. The state also legally recognizes the birds as a “public nuisance” -- contradicting much?

25. Ohio

You can’t cough on someone while riding public transportation. It is considered a minor misdemeanor.

26. Oklahoma

It is illegal to wrestle a bear. Can’t argue with that. In fact, some locals have actually been caught wrestling the big animal, of course after the bear was declawed and de-toothed. Justice for those poor bears.

27. Tennessee

It has become custom to share your Netflix password with family members or friends, but don’t get caught in Tennessee. It’s actually a crime to do so. The law also includes all other streaming services.

28. Texas

Texas has more than just one weird law. Officials have made it illegal for someone to eat out of their neighbor's trash. Not sure what circumstances will lead you to do that, but no can do. There is an actual anti-criminal law that states if you are thinking of committing a crime, you must warn the person 24-hours prior to the attack by letter. Finally, if you want to walk around barefoot, you will need a $5 permit, some Dallas injury lawyers say, you could face some hefty fines for breaking some of these silly laws.

29. Utah

Some odd laws in the state include: giving birds the right of way,not walking down the street with a violin in a paper bag in Salt Lake City (that seems oddly specific), and cyclists must keep one hand on the handlebars. I’m assuming to move out of the way before causing a car accident?

30. Vermont

Women who want to get false teeth are not allowed to do so unless they get permission from their husband. Why does this still exist?

31. Virginia

If you are caught having premarital sex, AKA fornicating, you could get hit with a Class 4 misdemeanor which will result in some sort of fee. Don't say I didn't tell you so.

32. West Virginia

If you are feeling a little adventurous, you are legally allowed to take roadkill home and cook it for dinner. Just make sure you clean the tire marks off first, OK?

33. Wisconsin

It is illegal to serve prison inmates butter substitutes. I guess it’s just not fair to deceive them like that. No one likes margarine, anyway.