Managing a weight loss plateau

Weight Loss Plateaus Are Frustrating And Challenging

There is not just a physical journey to weight loss, there is an emotional journey as well.

455

I successfully lost over 100 pounds in a little over one year. It was slow and steady progress and the changes in my mind, body, and attitude changed along with my size. However, in the past several weeks, my weight has not changed. I am a little over 10 pounds away from my ideal goal weight. This has been one of my hardest plateaus to overcome. So, I asked my trainer and did some research. The pitfalls of plateaus can easily break a person's momentum and cause negative effects that reverse all your hard work.

While I might not be losing weight, my body is changing and as muscle replaces fat the number on my scale is not growing as the numbers on my tape measure are lowering. Losing body fat and gaining muscle is a sign of moving in the right direction. So every time I step onto my scale I have to remind myself to not let the scale be the standard measurement to success.
Negative thinking can be a big game changer. If you have convinced yourself that something is wrong instinctively your "fight or flight" response may kick in causing your heart rate to change, your muscles to tighten and you begin to brace yourself of failure. Even though this thinking has been a part of my DNA, I must accept some failure and be able to move forward. I want to get out of my comfort zone and challenge my mind and body to know I am going to succeed.

Along the same lines of negativity is the perfectionist in me that wants the best possible results and believe I can always do better. I am the first to admit to my mistakes. However, I also beat myself up for making a mistake or not getting it right the first time. I know I am not an athlete and don't profess to be one, but I have a goal and like all other goals I have set out to accomplish them; the only way to do it is the best way. That being said, my recipe for success is not the same as the commercial ads for weight loss, or the You-Tube videos for certain workout routines. I won't be told how to achieve my goal their way. Therefore, I want to find the best fit for me and accept that there will be times my choice might not be the best, make the adjustment, and move forward.

Having a personal trainer is an added bonus to my success, however, if I don't speak up and tell her when I'm uncomfortable or overworked, I am only defeating my efforts as well as diminishing her success. Discussions with my trainer on a regular basis about my fears, frustrations, and changes will keep us both on the right track. Don't get stuck in a routine, change is good, change is needed. Just because you like doing leg presses does not mean doing them every day will give you the effect you are hoping for. My body is accepting my routines so now is the time to switch them up. Habits are created in 21 days, so your body has gotten accustomed to your routine, and it is time to take it up a notch.

The hardest and most triggered emotional pitfall of plateaus is the diet. When and how is the best way to accept that you have to change your diet in order to make the scale move? The stress of life can cause stress eating or dieting that can create havoc for anyone. It is important to stay on the course of your food choices. Tell yourself whenever you are reaching for those empty calorie foods, "I eat to live, not live to eat." Changing your diet as well as your exercise routine can boost your metabolism into gear again. It doesn't have to be all at once either. Add some additional fruit or vegetables to a meal or two during the week. Stay on the healthy side of your diet and give your body some additional fuel to burn as you ramp up your exercise routine.

The best advice is to always remember: Plenty of water, exercise, and sleep are the main ingredients to achieving your goal.