What I Wish I Knew Before I Went Shopping For My Wedding Dress

Here comes confusion all dressed in white.

189
Corrine Harding

As little girls, we all dream about the day we get married. From the flowers to the groom, and especially the dress we'll walk down the aisle in. Wedding dresses are such a prominent symbol of that special day. From that young age of dreaming about your wedding as a young girl, there is pressure to find the perfect dress for your day.

I have been engaged for a few months now, and I have gone through the checklist of planning a wedding. Ceremony location, reception location, photographer, and videographer have all been checked off the list. Right from the start, one of the first questions people asked would be, "Do you have an idea of a wedding dress you want?" And Even though I felt like I spent so much of my life dreaming for this moment, I still wasn't 100% sure of what I wanted.

Strapless or sleeves? Lace or silk? Even though dresses from a distance don't seem that different, trying on dresses, you realize that each dress is so different. From the way they make you feel to the actual design of the dress to what the style of dress is like.

Trying to find the right dress can be an overwhelming process because most likely, you will be given so many options, and then out of all of those beautiful dresses, you have to narrow it all down to the one.

Before I went wedding dress shopping, I knew I was going to get most likely get overwhelmed with options. Several of my friends who have gotten wedding dresses before have all expressed how confusing the dress shopping experience can be. To say I was worried about finding my dress would be an understatement.

After a very exhausting day of trying on countless amounts of dresses, I honestly felt like I was never going to find the one for me. I went to bed to hopefully sleep away some of my frustrations, and I hoped that my second day of shopping would be better. After a few dresses in the first place I went to on my second day of shopping, I found the dress that made me feel like me.

As I sit and wait for my dress to come in, I can't help but think I wish I would have realized a few things before I went shopping to make this experience less stressful to me.

One thing I didn't think about until I first walked out in a wedding dress is that when you are doing this type of shopping, you end up being the center of attention. Your bridal consultant, the people you bring with you, and strangers in the stores will stop and look at you while in the gown. It is sometimes awkward to have all eyes on you, but also a way to boost your confidence as you try to find the right dress for you.

One piece of advice I would share with anyone about to search for wedding dresses is that it never ever hurts to try on a dress that may not fit the style you originally planned. Being able to see options that are there can help you realize what you genuinely like and dislike. Even if you swear you will never wear a strapless dress, you never know until you try it.

Finally, you do realize what dress you really like and fits who you are. When you look at the mirror, you can't help but know what dress is what you hope to walk down the aisle in. No matter what other people are saying to you, you can feel it in your bones that you found the right dress.

Finding a wedding dress can be stressful, but in the end, it should be a fun experience spent with close ones around you. It is a time to prepare for not only your wedding but for the rest of your life with the love of your life. Enjoy the journey of finding your dress, and let the magic happen on its own with every veil and gown you try on.