Weather Is My Passion

Weather Is My Passion

Weather Is My Life

391
Weather Is My Passion
National Environmental Education Foundation

The weather for me is such an interesting topic. While growing up, I always wanted to be a meteorologist. It seemed like such a fun career has. You forecast, look at weather patterns, among so many other things. But what I found out what is, you need a lot of math.

Math is not my strong point. Nor do I have the patience to solve a math problem. When you start talking about algebra to me, mixing letters and numbers together, my brain just shuts off. I have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about when someone talks to me about algebra. I literally cannot do an algebraic question. So, I was surprised when I found out that I needed college calculus to have a degree in meteorology.

So, when my major had to be switched from meteorology to broadcasting. I’ve learned that I could actually take a few courses online and get online weather certificates. But the downfall is that it costs $6,000. Why the hell does college have to be so darn expensive. All I want is a certificate to prove that I can forecast weather. Even though it to this day I can forecast weather for anybody at any time.

I know how to read computer models; I know how to look for signs of severe weather in the vicinity. I know about all different kinds of weather and how different kinds of weather interacts with each other because I do tons and tons of research. But the fact of the matter is no one is going to care if I don't have the certificate or a degree in weather forecasting and meteorology. It’s just really annoying to me.

I started mass communications and found my other passion, which is writing a video, editing, graphic design, and other things. I found out that I am pretty good in that major. I think I found my niche in life.

The fact of the matter is that I’m having fun in my major even though I’m not a meteorologist. When you’re having fun and in college it must mean that you picked the right major. So many people just despise college because it’s hard work. Don’t get me wrong, mass communications was a very hard major, but in the end, it was so much fun. You have to work well under high periods of stress and under strict deadlines. But that’s what I love about it. It is the fact that I get to be stressed and still have fun at the same time.

I hope to one day get that online weather certificate. It would be a dream of mine to have some type of certification that I can show possible employers about how I love weather and how I can really be a forecaster one day.