Wearing Black Doesn't Make You 'Emo,' 'Goth,' Or 'Dark'
Beauty Fashion

Wearing Black Doesn't Make You 'Emo,' 'Goth,' Or 'Dark,' This Isn't Middle School Anymore

Over the years, there has been a stigma that liking or wearing black means you are dark and emo — it's time to kick that.

1132

I remember growing up and wearing all the pretty, girly colors that little girls typically wear. It wasn't until I hit middle school that I started to experiment with my fashion sense more and try new things, new colors and styles. I liked black, most of all I liked to paint my nails black, I just liked how it looked.

But then there was a time when there was another girl, a year older than me who also had her nails painted black. We were on the bus and one of her "friends" had said "what are you, going emo on us now? You goth" and walked away, just because her nails were black. At the time I thought that was rude, which it was, but now, I think that is straight up pathetic and silly.

Black is chic.

Have you ever seen a businesswoman dressed in all black, on her way to her busy job? She looks powerful, mysterious, and sophisticated. She doesn't get called a goth or an emo because of it. Or suits for example, when a man is getting married, or going to prom, or any other formal event, the suit is black. If it were any other color, it would be weird, nobody says anything about that do they?

Black is a power color. Black makes you appear slimmer.

Who doesn't want to look like they have a tiny little waist? Black seems to smooth out all the lumps and weird angles and make everything look tight and smooth. There really isn't a downfall to that!

Wearing all black and being called an emo or a goth is extremely stereotypical and out of line. Today, we have the freedom to express ourselves in any way we please, dress however we want to. The backlash that people get from that though, is ridiculous.

Feel free to wear whatever you want to, black is bad@*#!!!