Why I Wear My Gamma Delta Letters

Why I Wear My Gamma Delta Letters

They represent the women who came before me, who created the society.

15
Why I Wear My Gamma Delta Letters
Alyssa McElyea

When most people think of sororities, their first thought is of that Facebook video of the women of Alpha Delta Pi chanting in the doorway. And yes, we do all have and love our songs, chants and recruitment, but we are so much more than that. We are women who come from all different walks of life. We are women who want to be a part of something greater than ourselves. And we are members of Greek life.

Now, my school is a little different than most and we do not have sororities. We have what are called literary societies. The difference is that we have meetings in which members offer debates, orations, essays, declamations, dramatic monologues, readings, extemporaneous speeches and individual compositions over an overall theme. We put a lot of time into service because we firmly believe in giving back to the community that we call home. But all the same, we focus on sisterhood, growing as individuals and growing together.

Many people don't understand why I wear my letters with such pride, but to me, they aren't just letters. They represent the women who came before me, who created the society. My letters represent deep-rooted morals, hard working, strong women, literary excellence and a strong focus on community. We stand together when things get hard and never leave a sister behind. We form life-long relationships and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Being a woman of Greek life, we are a part of something greater than us. We follow a line of women who paved the way for us, providing more knowledge and opportunities than we could ever dream of. We are part of a group that focuses on individuality, but also the aspects of sisterhood. Meaning that we know we all come from different backgrounds, different parts of the world, we were all raised different and have different opinions on things. But we recognize this, accept it and respect it. We value the differences and appreciate the unique makeup we possess as a whole. We acknowledge the fact that we are part of something far more intricate than ourselves, we are each our own piece in this puzzle.

I wear my letters because I take pride in the time, effort and passion I put into my sisterhood. I would not be the woman I am today if it weren't for each and every Gamma Delta girl, both present and past. I have grown much further than I ever thought possible throughout my journey, and I've gained sisters I never had. I wear my letters because I am a member of Greek life, I am a unique individual that is a part of a very detailed puzzle, but every part matters. I wear my letters not because they make me better than anyone else, but because they make me better than who I was.