Weakness Is Not A Weakness.

Weakness Is Not A Weakness.

God takes our shortcomings and turns them into our strengths.

38
Weakness Is Not A Weakness.
Unsplash

We, ourselves, are our worst critic. For example, right now I could list 30 things I suck at. From nit picky things to deep emotional shortcomings, the list is long. The sad thing is probably anyone could do the same. We all have parts of ourselves we do not like and wish we could change.

We all have our own weaknesses. We are allowed to acknowledge them. However, I feel our world will not let us be content in their acknowledgement. Instead, we are encouraged to resolve those weaknesses. Our culture only promotes the resolution of our weaknesses. They are something to be fixed.

From blog posts, articles, videos, etc., our world provides tons of information available promoting ways to fix your certain weakness. You see, the world wants you in pristine and perfect condition. You can’t be quiet without someone telling you to be more social. You can’t be insecure without someone telling you to be more confident. You can’t have a bad day without someone telling you to cheer up. Maybe that person is a friend or family member. Maybe that “someone” is not actually another human being. Maybe that nagging voice saying you are unimportant, unloved, or not good enough is you. Maybe our culture is so anti-weakness that it forces us to be ashamed of them.

I am definitely guilty of this. I constantly see qualities I lack and begin to tell myself “You need to be better at , why are you so weak?” I actually enjoy learning about ways to improve myself. Scrolling endlessly through Pinterest and Youtube for tutorials is a daily hobby of mine. Articles covering time management tips, ways to balance our social and academic lives, makeup tutorials, quotes offering life wisdom, diet plans advertising fast weight loss, etc. It seems I am in constant search of ways to rid myself of any weakness.

It wasn’t till I came across this passage in 2 Corinthians that my weaknesses did not seem as much of a burden as I had originally thought:

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Cor. 12:9 (NIV).

God’s grace covers us. Grace covers the insecurities, the mistakes, the abnormalities, the hurt, the shame, the guilt, the incompetence. ALL of them. Completely covered by God’s mercy. All along I was looking for strength and a sliver of power in things that held none. I was searching for worldly answers when all I needed to do was surrender my weaknesses to God. Our weaknesses do not knock us down; they knock us to our knees so we can look up to God for help. They humble us as we look to the only true thing that can help us fill our void of brokenness and insecurity: the perfect power and strength from One True King.

In fact, He goes as far as to say we should gladly celebrate all those things. We should not try to hide them or be ashamed. We should accept them and not see them as a hindrance, but as the most potential room for God to change and shape us into doing amazing things. The Message translation goes on to say:

Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ’s strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.” 2 Cor. 12: 7-10 (MSG).

And that, my friends, is sweet music to my ears because I do not have to worry about myself anymore. God has me covered. As long as continue to seek Him and be totally honest with Him about my insecurities, He will continue to make up for my slack. He will make me brave, honest, confident, and strong in the best of ways.

So let me tell you something: it is OKAY to be weak because weakness is not a weakness.