We Want Our Plane Back

We Want Our Plane Back

3

Imagine you are on a plane. The plane takes off, you receive your tiny bag of peanuts, complimentary drink, and pillow. You peep through the miniature window and observe the large buildings morphing into small ants. You even see the wing of the plane slice through fluffy clouds. Now you can sit back and relax. You feel on edge, but overall, safe.

Then over the loudspeaker, you hear the pilot announce, “We are experiencing some turbulence so please remain strapped in your seats.”

It happens right? Planes usually experience turbulence and within minutes everything is back to normal and you’re back to binge watching your favorite show on Netflix. Nothing to worry about. It’s just some turbulence.

Right after calming back down you hear the loudspeaker sound again. You assume that the pilot is confirming everything is okay, but instead, you hear something completely different. “Ladies and Gentlemen, this plane is crashing.”

Everyone is freaking out, trying to figure out what is going on while calling their loved ones at the same time. They no longer feel safe. A man, who is not the pilot, comes to the seating area and explains what is going on.

“There isn’t anything wrong with this plane. Actually, it’s perfectly fine. But I’m a doctor which means I have many skills in my field. I can cut people open and put them back together. I can bring someone back to life, I can diagnose someone with a terminal illness and I can even develop medical breakthroughs!”

Everyone looks around extremely confused. The stranger sitting next to you shouts, “So?”

The doctor replies, “Since I can do all of these things, I tied the pilot down and took over the plane.”

Someone on the plane asked, “So you won’t let a pilot fly his own plane because you think you can do a better job?”

Anyone in their right mind agrees that this is outrageous, right? Of course if the doctor is extremely qualified. Extremely qualified at being a doctor. But that doesn’t mean he’s capable of flying a plane.

On Tuesday, January 24th, a group of doctors sat together and decided to tie down pilots across the country and take over their planes. A group of men made a decision in which sabotages reproductive medical coverage for women all across the country. The House of Representatives voted to pass H.R. 7 which is an anti-abortion bill that will make the Hyde Amendment permanent. It will further restrict abortion access for low-income women, federal government employees, military women stationed overseas and women in the Peace Corps.

The bill passed and will prohibit any taxpayer money being used to fund abortions, prohibits abortion coverage from being offered in multi-state health insurance plans under the ACA and will cause millions of women to lose insurance coverage for abortions and things like birth control.

Just three days prior to this bill being passed millions of people, especially women, all over the world protested in hopes that someone will open their eyes and give them their plane back. How is it that we live in a world where doctors are taking over planes without caring how many people die along the way?

For those who believe we need to “make America great again,” I have another idea for you. Let’s make America safe. Let’s make it place where religion doesn’t interfere with our lawmaking and our doctors are performing more surgeries and our pilots are flying more planes. Women all across the country don’t feel safe and protected by the government. They feel like they are stuck on a crashing plane.

So please, doctors, get the hell off of our plane.