We Stand With Anthony Rapp

We Stand With Anthony Rapp

Messages of Thanks From The People Who's Lives He's Changed

278
We Stand With Anthony Rapp
NY Post

On October 29th of this year, Buzzfeed: News released an article containing an interview with well known Broadway veteran and current star of CBS's Star Trek: Discovery, Anthony Rapp. It was titled the following:

"Actor Anthony Rapp: Kevin Spacey Made A Sexual Advance Toward Me When I was 14"

(If you haven't seen the article, you can read it by clicking here.)

Anthony Rapp revealed that at a party at Spacey's apartment in 1986, Spacey made sexual advances towards him. At the time Anthony would have been 14. Kevin Spacey would have been 26.

Reading the Buzzfeed article broke my heart. No one should have to go through a experience like that.But the actual article and the allegations is not what I'm here to talk about. What I'm here to talk about is the aftermath.

The amount of victim shaming and hateful comments I have seen in Mr. Rapp's comment sections on Twitter, Instagram, and even his PRIVATE Facebook account absolutely disgusts me. People keep asking why he waited 30 years to say anything on record about the event, and the hate he's receiving is directly the answer. He doesn't deserve the hate, no one in his position does.

So, being me, I thought I'd do something about it. I went to Tumblr. I went to Twitter. If anyone knows me, then you know that Anthony Rapp has been my hero since I was around 12 to 13, and I knew that I wasn't alone.

I asked people to tell me their stories on how Anthony Rapp has impacted their lives, and my faith in the world got restored almost instantly by the amazing responses I got.

Mr. Rapp, I hope you see this article. I hope you see how much you've greatly changed people's lives. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story with the world. It's doing so much good, and it opens the door for others to come forward as well.

The following are the stories I received, including my own. Some messages are credited to anonymous upon request.

"4 years ago he encouraged me to recover from my eating disorder. He was the only person who got through to me. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for him. He also wished my theatre group good luck on our production of rent." -Anonymous on Tumblr

"Hi there. I am truly sorry from the bottom of my heart for how the world has treated you lately. You have been such an inspiration to so many people, including myself. As a queer girl who never really belonged anywhere, seeing actors like you has been life-changing. To see that someone can be openly themselves at all times is so inspiring. I first saw you in Rent where I fell in love with your talent for the first time, and I have continued to watch everything up until Star Trek now - where you shine, even as a prickly mycologist! Please never lose faith in yourself, for you helped me find mine." -@agurknyhet on Twitter

"I met him once in New York out side the Nearlander theater after a performance of Rent. He took the time to talk to me and especially my daughters who were very young at the time. We were star struck of course and he was so kind. Not only is he so talented, but such a nice, nice man. He told my daughter to stay in school and do her homework. She still tells the story to this day. He signed several autographs for us and hugged my girls. When my older daughter came out a few years later she told me that he was one of her heros and role models. I will forever be grateful to Anthony Rapp, for his talent, his kindness and his philosophy of life. I stand with Anthony Rapp. Kevin Spacey is a douche and the lowest of humans. May he get what’s coming to him." -@nursekris927 on Tumblr

"I want to pass a long message of support and kindness. His courage is an inspiration, and I wish him all the best in the present and future. No one deserves the kind of things he's going through right now, least of all anyone so kind and inspirational. I am 100% in his corner. <3" -@outside-the-government on Tumblr

"Anthony Rapp is a wonderful man who's existence just makes me?? impossibly happy. My first encounter of Anthony Rapp was in Rent, which I think is a lot of people's experience. The first time I watched Rent was literally life changing. I think I can separate my life into pre-rent and post-rent and those two divisions are distinct and accurate, and although i love and loved all the characters, there was something about Mark Cohen that immediately stuck with me and that I could relate to. When I realized I was bisexual, one of the first actors I thought of and knew about who was openly lgbt was Anthony Rapp, and to see a man with so much talent and so much promise and who overcame so much in his own life - who was GAY, to succeed like that, to succeed in a field I've always wanted to be involved in - meant EVERYTHING to me. I know a lot of gay people who mention they went through a period of self hatred for their identity because of the way they were raised, and I think the influence of a lot of lgbt celebrities helped me avoid that, very fortunately. And Anthony Rapp was at the forefront of it. Also you know those super-formative early movie memories we all have? Like that One scene or the specific way an actor pronounces One word in one moment that sticks with u for life? But the way anthony rapp says "fuckin cheated" in the tango maureen is one of those scenes that has always been instilled in my memory and I thought I should mention that too. He's an amazing man and I acknowledge I don't even know that much about him, because he's an actor and an artist and not someone I Know Personally in real life. But I still admire him and that means so much u know??? And also I believe BIG in the energies people give off, and Anthony Rapp gives off the warmest, gentlest, most secure vibe in the world. Like I know how absurd it is but i think about him and i feel genuine love u know?? Which is crazy bc I don't know him and I know that I don't!! But he's just such a good human and he deserves so much good!!" -@glitterfeyrac on Tumblr

"Anthony has helped me be a happier person. He's incredibly goofy and he lightens my mood and makes me smile when I'm sad." -@no-day-buttoday on Tumblr

"The first time I ever saw anything for Anthony, was when I was 11 years old, me and my mom were watching the Rent movie for the first time. My mom already knew what it was, she loved the show when it first came out in the 90's. I remember the first time I heard Anthony sing, it was so amazing. His voice made me happy to listen to. The whole movie was amazing of course, but it was something about Anthony that made me want to know more about the show. So I got my mom to get the soundtrack, and I listened to it non-stop for about a month. Listening to his voice, watching the movie, it really made me happy. So I decided to start looking stuff up about him, seeing who he was, finding out what other musicals he was in so I could listen to the soundtracks, and on his wikipedia it said that he was openly queer. At the time I knew the word queer, I just didn't know what it meant. I knew about the LGBTQ+ community, but I only ever knew about a few actors who were gay, bi, lesbian, etc. And when I started to read more about Anthony, I started to learn more about LGBT people, and then I started to see how people like him were treated, and I hated it. I would always think, "How can you hate someone like him just because he likes guys?" It really made me sad, but every time I would be sad, I would just listen to Anthony Rapp singing. Now 3 years later, I'm 14, and Anthony is still one of my favorite people in the world. When I heard he was going to be in the new Star Trek tv show, I was so excited. (I had already been a Star Trek fan for many years). Then I heard his character was going to be gay, and I was even more excited, because I got to see someone who inspires me, being in one of my favorite things, and being a gay character. I was so overjoyed, I started to cry, just knowing that someone like him gets to play a gay character on a show that millions of kids look up to, it just made me think that one day people like him (and myself) will get to be looked at as normal everyday people. And I just want Anthony to know that I believe him about what Kevin Spacey did, and I will always believe him, he is one of my role models, and I am proud of everything that he has done. Thank you Anthony Rapp. -Anonymous on Tumblr

"Hi Anthony, I hope you're doing well. I just wanted to let you know that I think you're incredibly brave. You have just become an important voice for those of us who have suffered sexual assault and abuse as children, and I believe your contribution to the dialogue about rape culture and power dynamics in your industry will have a tremendous and lasting effect. Now, I know that there are some scumbags out there that seek to discredit you and harass you, and I understand that must be really tough... So I just want you to know that you're not alone. You have all my love and support. I hope you know that you sharing your story will help change lives and protect people from sexual assault and abuse. And that is a remarkable and priceless accomplishment." Love, H from Tumblr

"Anthony gave me a love for theatre. He also is a big LGBT idol for me and made me feel less invisible in being a gay man. He has influenced me in an absolute marvelous way and is very wonderful." -@aarontveitplsslapme on Tumblr

"I think a lot of people's first experience with any of Anthony Rapp's work is through Rent, and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. I first saw it when I was around 12 to 13, and for some reason there was something about the character of Mark Cohen that stuck out to me. After doing digging and finding out who Anthony Rapp was, I can and will full out credit him for helping me come out of the closet by the time I was 13. It's well known that Anthony is credited as being one of the first out actors on Broadway, and seeing someone live their truth so fully with no fear of the side effects was so inspirational. And when I was diagnosed with a panic disorder, I quickly realized that his songs and singing would calm down attacks really well. (Room to Breathe will forever be a favorite). You've opened so many doors for people Anthony, and impacted so much. After the accusations with Kevin Spacey were released, it just made me admire him more. His bravery is so inspirational. It made me realize and be thankful that I chose the right guy to be my hero. Anthony, you had our backs in the LGBTQIA community and everywhere for so long. Please know that we forever have yours. We stand and we believe you." -@Aaron_Evans10 on Twitter

"Alright, here it goes. I didn't know who was Anthony Rapp until a few months ago, as I don't live in the US, and have been introduced to the Broadway world quite recently. I saw him for the first time in Rent, and the simple fact that he, as well as other amazing people, had participated in giving life to this amazing piece of art about a topic that was quite taboo when it came out made me admiring him a lot. He has such a strong presence on stage and on the screen, when acting as well as singing, and he recently used his voice to talk about something really, really important. I admire the courage it must have taken him to speak up about the abuse he suffered from Kevin Spacey, and I thank him for shedding light on this dark aspect of the theatre community. So I guess my message for him is : you have the power to have deeply moved someone who hasn't known about you for a long time, and I'm sure many more people who have admired you for years are as thankful as I am for speaking up and showing that despite the many spotlights these publics figures are under, there are still so many ugly problematic secrets hiding backstage. Anthony Rapp, you are a strong and brave man, that we assure you. Thank you." -@remuseum on Tumblr