How To Tell If You're A Feminist

If You Have Thought Any Of These Things, Chances Are You're A Feminist

"A wise woman knows her limits, a smart woman knows she has none." — Marilyn Monroe

535

Too often to we deem feminist as these radical women who are fighting to erase their male counterparts in their entirety, but this delusion could not be more wrong. By definition a feminist a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes. Please notice that a feminist is a person and not exclusive in being a woman. There are a few misconceptions and notions that need to be addressed in the "crazy idea that women and men are equal". So, sit down and strap in because if this applies to you; you're probably a feminist.

Misconceptions:

1. You are not a feminist if you wear "revealing" clothes

This speaks for itself, being a feminist doesn't mean you are a tree hugging, covered shrub; it means that you are fighting for equal rights for BOTH male and females.

2. Feminist cannot be housewives

Feminism in itself is the ability to have the choice in being a CEO or Stay at home Mom (SAHM). Being a SAHM does not make you less than and furthermore being a female CEO should be no different than a male CEO.

3. Feminism and marriage aren't coexisting

While there is some traditional marriage ceremonial things like "obeying" your husband and the notion of taking his last name as your own; feminist don't rely on the idea that marriage is the end all be all goal in life, but that it is important to enjoy being with someone you love. Reap the benefits of the institution of marriage.

4. BIGGEST MISCONCEPTION: MEN AND WOMEN ARE EQUAL; WE DON'T NEED FEMINISM

While we have come a long way from the right to vote, Roe V. Wade and increase of female CEOs, it does not negate the fact that women are viewed in a negative light. Professionally, it is assumed that you "slept your way" up the ladder to hold a higher position of power; while personally it is presumed that.

It's a sad truth that in the future, I'm going to have to have continuous conversations with my daughters in reassurance that she is miraculous, extraordinary and capable of anything even when the world tells her she cant.

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." — Bette Davis

If you:

1. Believe that women and men deserve the same respect, regardless of profession or wealth

2. Find this quote to be true, or even remotely remarkable, "Because what men fear most about going to prison is what women fear most about walking down the sidewalk" -unknown

3. Find that telling girls to wear covered clothing, longer skirts, higher necklines instead of teaching boys that they should keep their hands to themselves or that overly sexualizing girls is absolutely ridiculous

4. Believe that a fundamental right to be heard as a human and to be included as a member of the community but yet did not receive that right until 1920 is absurd

5. Find the incredible pressure that women, girls, and even adolescents to be beautiful, even before puberty is outrageous

Regardless of your political beliefs, it is not divided that women are viewed in such a negative light that it is nearly impossible to talk about the inequality without being enraged. I'm only touching on the surface of the inequality, I have yet to dive into the minorities who are also women, microaggressions, and the continuous backlash that the media portrays feminists to be. Even when asked, most women would not broadcast that they are feminists due to the negative light the media portrays feminist. When you put it all down on paper it seems women have drawn the short stick in terms of wealth, lifestyles, and political equality. I hope that someday when I have a daughter, she fights as hard as I am for her rights and those of others.