We Have A Voice

We Have A Voice

How much are you really willing to pay for your cell phone?

25
We Have A Voice

As a society it is expected that everyone has a phone. You almost can't hold a regular job or get through school wihtout a cell phone to keep in contact with people and look things up as we go. Because of this high demand and the necessity of cell phones in every day life cell phone companies are able to sell their product at a ridiculous price. Expiriments have been done to estimate that the Iphone 6s costed Apple about $211.50 in materials and assembly, the 6s plus is estimates at roughly $236. New, these products cost about $550 and $650 (after the 7 has come out). How is it okay to pay that much for a phone? On top of that prices will likely continue to go up, why wouldn't they? As consumers we are convinced that we need a nice and relitively new phone, usually getting a new one every other year, which means that we will buy it no matter what. That means we are spending $550-$750 on a phone that you will keep for two years not counting your plan and most households have more than one phone in them. So let's say there is a house where three people have Iphones, we will say they have the 6s plus. Let's also say that they each have unlimited texting, calling, and 12GB of data to share and they pay about $110 monthly.

All together that is $1,950 in cell phones and $2,640 in plans over 2 years, totaling at about $4,590 spent in two years. I can think of lots of other ways to spent $4,500. What would happen if for a couple of years our generation were to boycott buying new phones. What if we were to stick with our current ones for just a little longer, not just wait until it's paid off, but keep it for a while. The companies that make our phones might think about their prices a little more. As comsumers we really hold a lot of power, but we don't generally see it that way. If we see that the prices are flawed, we need to stand up and say something about it.