22 Gigabytes: Unlimited, Kinda

22 Gigabytes: Unlimited, Kinda

Unlimited Data, Right? B*tch, you thought.

9
22 Gigabytes: Unlimited, Kinda
Thom via Unsplash

AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint have completely revamped their mobile data plans. It’s both a win and a loss for consumers.

Summer is undoubtably an interesting time for tech. It’s out with the old and in with the new! New consumer products, new operating systems, and new tactics from cell phone carriers to win you over before the next iPhone drops. Although, this summer has been an historic one for the carrier industry.
FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m a T-Mobile customer and currently own stock in the company.

The Good:

Cellular carriers in the United States brought an end to limited data for users! AT&T kicked things off early Wednesday, announcing new mobile shared data plans, alongside new pricing. The old plans included a fixed amount of data to be shared amongst multiple lines. If customers consumed all their data, AT&T would charge an additional $15 per extra gigabyte (GB) of data until their billing cycle reset. Under the new plans, AT&T is adding more high-speed data to each plan, while also raising the prices for customers using less than 5GB per month (high-speed as defined as 4G LTE). Customers will no longer be charged for extra data, if needed. Instead, they will have their data throttled to 2G speeds. The new plans rolled out yesterday, August 21, to all US-based AT&T customers.

T-Mobile announced Un-carrier 12 the following morning, bringing an end to their limited high-speed data plans, replacing it with one simple plan called T-Mobile One. The plan, which is expected to cost $70, includes unlimited calling, texting, and high-speed data. If users want a family plan, a family of four users will cost $40 per line under the new plan. This benefits customers already on T-Mobile’s current “unlimited” data plan, which currently costs $95 and caps out at 22GB. Users who currently have T-Mobile can either upgrade to the new plan or stick with their current plans. Customers who join T-Mobile after September 6 will only be able to sign up for the new plan. Although T-Mobile will throttle users who consume more than 26GB of data (which, according to company, is only 3% of their total user base), streaming music or watching video in 480p resolution will not count against the high-speed data cap.

Sprint, who has somehow managed to survive all these years, sent out a press release early Thursday./ announcing changes to their plans as well. Starting at $60 for Sprint Unlimited Freedom, users have access to unlimited calling, texting, and high-speed data. The #4 US-based carrier is aiming to win over T-Mobile customers who pay more for data. Unlike T-Mobile One, Unlimited Freedom comes with 23GB of high-speed data and includes the ability to hotspot or tether to other devices at 4G speeds. For a family of four, the pricing structure is the same as T-Mobile One. Sprint Unlimited Freedom launched August 19 for both new and existing customers.

The Bad:

AT&T is raising their prices for the smaller data plans. There is no escaping that. If users want a better deal on data from AT&T, they have the option of becoming a DirecTV subscriber. AT&T, who owns DirecTV, will provide 22GB of high-speed mobile data, if customers sign up for cable & wireless package. After 22GB, speeds are then throttled to 2G speeds.

T-Mobile had eliminated limited data plans (kind of), which also means eliminating any mobile data plan under $70. This doesn’t affect existing customers, who can opt-in to the new plan, but new customers will feel the punch. The new plan doesn’t include high-speed mobile hotspotting. This will cost users an extra $15, and tethering will be limited to 5GB, where the current plans allows for 14GB, and is included in T-Mobile’s higher-tier packages. If you're watching videos, the resolution will drop to 480p, unless you pay more for HD video.

Generally, Sprint’s offer is a better financial deal for single users. Similar to T-Mobile, Sprint's Unlimited Freedom has you watching video at 480p. However, unlike T-Mobile, you can only stream music at low quality (500kbps). They also have a 5GB cap on high-speed tethering.

The Ugly:

Hey AT&T, what the heck are you doing?! You’re still doing this whole “mobile shared data plans,” pissing off your users! Bruh… let’s be real, it’s 2016. 2-0-1-6! BRUH! Sharing 10GB of data between four lines is nowhere near sufficient in this world. Our lives are both online and in the real world. We are always connected through most of our personal devices, constantly uploading and offloading from the cloud. Documents, pictures, music, video… even our phone calls are now utilizing the data network instead of the regular telephone line. Connecting to public Wi-Fi is simply unacceptable in the Post-Snowden world. Spending more than $100 for unlimited high-speed data is a farce, and I refuse to become a DirecTV subscriber just to get free unlimited high-speed mobile data.

T-Mobile, I get that you’re all about the customer, but are we really going to be short-changing users by not including tethering at 4G speeds in T-Mobile One? Granted, users can pay extra, but that brings up the cost to $85 (at minimum). Also, why only 5GB instead of the standard 14GB? Don’t get me wrong, I love you the most (which is pretty sad) but come on man, you used to be the most upstart challenger to the other big three companies, what happened?! Let’s be real, I’m of the opinion that the whole Uncarrier movement has been a manipulative ploy to get users to pay more in ingenious ways. I feel like a penalty is being imposed against me just for using your network.

Sprint, you’ve always been awful. I’m sorry, even at $60, I don’t find your plan the best because your speeds and coverage for RELIABLE, HIGH-SPEED DATA are horrible. You’re great in about 7 U.S. cities. Generally speaking, Cricket is better than you, CRICKET! Of all the carrier deals, I find yours to be the most fishy. I guess your service (or lack thereof) is why I don't trust you.

Verizon, where are you at though?! You’re the #1 mobile US carrier but, umm…. you could be doing more for the consumer. You’re a carrier with great coverage and service (not customer service), but that’s the extent of it all. GIVE ME A REASON TO SWITCH! The dream of the 2000s is alive! Unlimited data is back and if money isn’t an issue, it’s a delight to enjoy!