WE, as women

WE, as women

Yes, I am a feminist.

14
WE, as women
Violeta Noy

Do you want to know something funny?

The other day my mother and I were discussing a guy that I currently find interesting in school and I told her that I wasn't too worried about him liking me back because "it's just high-school."

She agreed with me, and she added that I'll find my perfect guy in college. I laughed and responded with "Yeah if I'm not too busy trying to get my education for my future career."

She wasn't laughing with me.

She continued to tell me, in a speech, that looking for a guy to marry in college is important, not suggesting my studies don't come before dating, but because waiting until after college is "too late" and no guy would want me when I'm that age.

Now, I'm a person who cares passionately about education. nothing can get in the way of me achieving the highest potential I could possibly reach. And certainly, getting a husband is the last thing on my mind. (No offense, mom. I love you.)

But this got me thinking...why do we condition girls to grow up and marry?

I don't mean that I don't want to get married, because I do, eventually. but, why do women condition their children to focus on being subservient to men, instead of getting their diploma?

Why do we set women up to compete with each other, merely for the attention of a man?

Why are women overly sexualized, and then when we want to express our sexuality, we are slut shamed and teased and humiliated by men and fellow women?

Why is a man's anatomy glorified, and when a woman wants to express her body in a non-sexual, natural way, is seen as disgusting to men and fellow women? When it is, in fact, the most amazing thing in the world.

This needs to change.

We, as women, must protect our own. We must appreciate each other. Love each other. Help each other. Encourage each other to reach our full potential, no matter how many years alone/single we'll have to face.

A compliment to another woman is NOT an insult to your own self.

A smile to another woman is NOT a frown upon your own self.

Standing up for another woman is NOT setting yourself up for shame.

A man that you want that another woman has, is NOT the only man you will ever get. (No more "side chicks". Have respect for yourself.)

We must learn to be a community of loving, accepting, human beings. because, honestly, if a woman can't tell another woman that she looks good, then there is no hope for women as a whole.

Also, if you call yourself a feminist, and you slut shame, discriminate, fat shame, and reinforce the societal standard of "white and thin" (not saying if you are white and thin that you are not beautiful) of beauty of a woman to others, please feel free to leave this planet.

I'm just saying.

I'm not a woman's activist, but i just love women.

Not sexually, just a passionate, respectful love for my gender.
We are strong, we can multi-task (SERIOUSLY. We can have a baby in our stomach and still move on our daily grind. Like what kind of magic?), and we are so beautiful and different and wonderful.

So please be good to yourself, and others. I'm begging you. change the world.