We All Should Be Wearing Face Masks and Not Just Have It Under Our Noses

Facemasks are the new norm so know how to wear one properly

32
Unsplash

Nine months into the COVID-19 pandemic and face masks remain a controversy on whether or not one should wear one and when they need to wear it. With COVID-19 getting more worse now it is essential to know how to wear a face mask and not just have it under our noses.

To start off, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention gives out instructions on how to wear a mask properly. The first sept is to wash your hands before putting on your mask. You may know what you have touched but its unfortunate how we can't see what is on the surface. Is the surface you touched clean? Or does it have a strain of COVID-19? That is why you must wash your hands. The next step is to put the mask over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin. Did you hear this step? The mask must remain over the nose and not under. I have seen many people wear their mask under their noses which is the incorrect way. Some people call this the chin diaper and it does not look that cool. Your nose can breathe in the droplets from the air which can still put you at risk for spreading or getting COVID-19. The next step is to make sure you can breathe properly. Masks should fit snug but not tight. If you have trouble breathing adjust the mask.

Additionally, the main idea of wearing a mask is to protect others. When should you wear your mask? When you are with other people out in public is the answer. Wear a mask in public settings when around people who don't live in your household, especially when it may be difficult for you to stay six feet apart. You must wear a mask correctly for maximum protection. Other tips are don't put the mask around your neck or up on your forehead. Also, don't touch the mask, and, if you do, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to disinfect. These simple acts can cause cross-contamination so always wash your hands when touching the inside of your mask.

Lastly, take off your mask carefully, when you are home. Do this by untying the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops. You must handle only by the ear loops or ties. The next step is to fold outside corners together and place the mask in the washing machine if it is a cloth mask. While doing this be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing. With these simple steps more people can be safe with not catching COVID-19. Masks are one of the only forms of protection for now until a vaccine or treatment is widely available.