14 Ways You Can Use Your Time In College To Be Your Best You

The best part of college isn't about partying, it's about self-discovery.

221
Stephanie Keck

College is one of the most pivotal, transitional time periods of one’s life. It’s “life-changing”, as they say. To be honest, I always imagined college to solely be the most fun days of my life. I definitely thought I understood the world pretty well when I graduated high school.

Yeah, I was super duper wrong, to say the least. College has changed me for the better. And I still have so much to learn once I graduate. After I had this realization, I decided my New Year’s Resolution was to do as much self-discovery as I could in these short few months ahead of graduation.

Yes, I’m cheesy. But I also love using the bit of free time I have left before the real world hits to do what college is meant for — better understanding yourself. Here are 14 things I’ve done to try and figure myself out.

1. Listen to podcasts

Podcasts are the bomb. I had a friend tell me about a ton to listen to – I definitely thought they were an odd spectacle, wasn’t really sure when to listen to them, and I figured TV would way more entertaining. WRONG. Podcasts are RAD. I listen to them in the car (particularly longer drives). Some of my faves include “This American Life” and “Oprah’s Supersoul Conversations.” It’s basically really wonderful people telling really wonderful stories worth listening to.

2. Read books (yes, plural)

In all of schooling, required reading makes it so difficult to actually enjoy a book. There are SO. MANY. GOOD. BOOKS. I personally love self-improvement books. Recently, I’ve read “Designing Your Life” by Bill Burnett and “Braving the Wilderness” by Brene Brown. I’m currently reading “Reading With Patrick” as I prep for my post-grad career. IMO — reading other peoples’ reflections can lead you to reflect even more.

3. Talk to your people more

Talk to your mom. Talk to your dad. Talk to your brother, sister, grandma. Talk to the people that love you most and feel good knowing they love and support you (shout out to my fam).

4. Try something new with people you enjoy being around

Last week, my friends and I tried a dance workout at the rec. We weren’t really sure what we were getting ourselves into, but we had way more fun than we thought (plus we worked out? Win-win). Shared experiences = the best. Think about it. You know I’m right.

5. Do absolutely nothing

Pretty soon, from what I hear, the real world is going to be wild. Enjoy doing absolutely nothing while you still have some time.

6. Meditate – trust me on this one

OK, people generally give me funky looks when I say I’ve started meditating. I use Headspace every day (literally one of the best investments I’ve ever made). It gives me 10 minutes of clarity every single day. I’ve become calmer and more mindful. Going to be cheesy for a hot second (what’s new) — I understand the depths of my mind just a little more.

Side note — I’m strong in my faith. I’ve delved back into that following my meditation each day. It’s probably the best thing ever if you’re spiritual.

7. Set a goal and actually do something every day to achieve it

Focusing on what you want and going after it is one of the most rewarding things ever. It doesn’t have to be New Year’s to set a resolution or goal and do something to achieve it. Start something today (I say to myself as I slack on my goals).

8. Have real conversations

It seems like conversations almost always take place in brief passing by’s, via social media or while messed up at Sigma Apple Pie. Some of my own best memories with my friends are staying up until 2 a.m. talking about philosophy and life. It felt good to connect with the people I value. Like actually, truly building connections. Try it.

9. Take personality tests, duh

Yes, these are cheesy. But YES. They really make you think! MBTI is my absolute favorite, but I also love StrengthsQuest and Enneagrams too.

10. Write about it

Take a few seconds every day to write down your thoughts. It’s awesome to go back and read what you were thinking and feeling months ago and realize how much you’ve learned.

11. Find a mentor

People have really great things to say. People are full of pretty good advice. Find a good person and use them for what they’re good for :)

12. Take care of YOU

Work out. Go to classes. Hit your step goal. Your body will thank you later, because (if you’re in the same boat as me), these past four years haven’t been the best between y'all.

13. Watch a documentary

Documentaries are so cool. There’s so much to learn about the world. It’s basically a visual podcast (peep number one). If you’ve never watched “Planet Earth,” are you even human?

14. Have a drink with your best friends

Because these really are the best days of your life.