How to Stop Procrastinating

Let’s face it: we all procrastinate. Anything can distract us from completing our daily objectives and goals, no matter how big or small. Below are five reasons why we students procrastinate:

1. The study space.

Smart students know that the best place to get your work done is a place that’s comfortable and where you won't get easily distracted; however, a bed doesn’t constitute as an effective study place. It’s best to complete a project or assignment on a desk or table because, truth be told, you’re not going to study well in your bed. You will nap, read, eat, Netflix, and sleep astoundingly in your bed, but not to study.

Additionally, I’ve noticed that I procrastinate when there are a lot of things laid out on a study table. This can be overwhelming and contribute to a loss in concentration. Instead of putting every book or folder onto the table, take out a single object, such as a folder or notebook. If you need to read a chapter then the book should be the only thing out. Keep it minimal for maximum effectiveness.

2. Acknowledge your Netflix addiction.

Many of us have been there. The words “just one more episode” echo throughout our heads, thinking that after that last episode of Grey’s Anatomy or Stranger Things you will happily stop mid-season to go do some homework you may or may not cry about while doing it. It’s best to acknowledge that you may have a Netflix addiction, and

should seek treatment by exiting from the program.

3. The Hunger Games.

At some point during the study time, you feel empty inside, and fill the void with food. Eventually, you leave the room and get food, come back, and an hour or two has been wasted. In all honesty, I fall for this trick all the time. You should eat something light in-between meals, and before studying or working on an assignment. I’ve noticed when I have something to eat two hours beforehand, I am able to focus and not interrupt my studying.

4. Long Deadlines.

When a professor assigns something that’s due in a month, most likely students (unless they’re overachievers) will probably begin the assignment a week before the due date. Most likely they will get the assignment complete the week of the due date. With such a long period of time to complete an assignment, students mentally set aside the assignment, focusing on more relevant things. I believe that when assignments are due earlier, such as two weeks, students are more inclined to complete them sooner.

5. The relationship with your phone.

If you’re like me, I will read a section of a textbook, then try to reward myself with a certain time on social media. Whether it’s social media, or just getting text messages from friends or significant others, it can be hard to finish your work. Sometimes, you’ll simply have to turn your phone off and set it aside in your book bag.

So those are just some reasons why students may procrastinate. What are some other reasons, and what are the solutions to them?