Ways to Welcome New Sisters to Your Sorority

Sisterhood is timeless...

1150

Bid Day is finally here! It's the time that the whole sorority was waiting for. The lights, camera, and bid day (not action, bid day comes first). When it's Bid Day, there is so much excitement and anticipation of welcoming the new sisters into the sisterhood. New sisters mean a new line of friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. But sometimes, we are not entirely sure on how to really "welcome" these new sisters into the sisterhood. We need a little extra push to really do the job.

One thing that I do not regret is joining my sorority, Delta Gamma. The DG sisterhood has taught me so much about finding the people to connect with and the place to call home away from home. I still remember how lost I was feeling before I joined DG. I was always "floating" among different friend groups and trying my hardest to find my "niche" or the group that I truly belong to.

But then I came across this sorority called Delta Gamma. I was hesitant at joining first, because of the expensive dues, but I realized the sisterhood and the lifelong friendships were going to be worth it. So I risked it all and joined DG, a choice that I know I won't regret making.

The thing about stepping your foot for the first time into a sorority is, you never really know who you're going to blend in with or who will be the friends that will also be your bridesmaids on your wedding day. The mystery of it all is what makes being "new" in a sorority the more exciting, fascinating experience. If I knew who I was going to be friends with in my sorority or who I would be close enough to invite to be my bridesmaids, I wouldn't have loved my experience as a "new" sister as much as I did.

The fun lies in actually finding out all of the things that make you feel like the sorority is your home and your place, rather than having it all lie ahead in front of you.

If I were to give new members advice before being welcomed into Bid Day, I would tell them these things:

Try to make "sisters," not just friends- As obvious as it may feel to "make friends" with the people in your sorority, it is much rewarding to think of it as making new bonds with "sisters," rather than friends. Sorority life is about sustaining friendships and these bonds with your sisters, who can be a friend as well, but are ultimately the people you will spend your lifelong sisterhood with, as part of the sorority. So take advantage of this experience. Not everyone gets to be in a sorority and not everyone gets to have people they can call "sisters" outside of their biological sisters in their family.

Think of every sisterhood event as opportunities to show your true colors- Sorority life, as much sweetness and glitz it may seem like, is also shared human connections. The friendships you make with your sorority sisters are real and they are not to be taken for granted. Make every opportunity you get to go to sisterhood events, a chance to bond with a new sister or show something unique about yourself to the rest of your sorority. The more your sorority sisters can learn about you, the more they will be willing to share that bond and connection and maybe even want you as their big or little!

Don't be afraid to be your authentic self in front of your sisters! They want to see the real you- Sorority sisters are family. They want to know you and eventually get closer to you, as time goes on. For that to happen, it is important to not keep adding layers to your true self. They are your sisters! They will accept you no matter what.