7 Ways to Beat Your Routine

7 Ways to Beat Your Routine

Here are some ideas to help you break the monotony of everyday student life.

17
7 Ways to Beat Your Routine
Marcel Trindade on Flickr

It's easy to find yourself stuck in a routine, especially when school's in session. Once you get your schedule nailed down, you may find yourself simply going through the motions—same stuff, different day. Personally, nothing makes my days better than finding ways to “switch it up," and a little can go a long way. Here's seven ideas to help you fight monotony and keep even the dog days interesting.

1. Get Out

Larry Meisner

This isn't merely an idea, it's science. Research has shown that green space, particularly that of a natural origin, can fight the risk of depression and anxiety, while also boosting cognitive function and health. If that doesn't sound like the perfect solution to the ills of college life, I don't know know what does.

As a UGA student, I'm lucky to be surrounded by ample opportunities to “get out". The Wild and Scenic Chattooga River lies an hour and a half up the road, with numerous opportunities for hiking, whitewater rafting, and similar activities. Don't have time to go all that way? Sandy Creek Nature Park right here in Athens has all the green space you need. Head on over and shake up your routine with a short hike before your 11:15 class—you won't regret it!

2. Try a New Restaurant

Michal Sanger on Flickr

One thing that can suck the life out of an already mundane schedule is the regular consumption of lack-luster food. On the other hand, one thing that can certainly mitigate the effects of a crippling routine is giving new food a try. Lucky for UGA students, Athens is home to an expansive array of eateries, many of which are quite affordable. Next time college life has you down, take a walk through town and give that restaurant you've been eyeing a shot.

3. Study Somewhere Different

Larry Meisner

Something as small as changing the location of your studies can provide a much needed change. When I first arrived at the University of Georgia, I was an MLC loyalist. Three months into school, a friend invited me to study at the Science Library, and the rest is history. In all seriousness, I was delighted to have a new space to study in--different colors, new setup, and even the white noise and lack of silence, were all pleasant surprises which made my study time much more pleasant. Who knows, maybe next week I'll try studying somewhere else just to keep things fresh. Next time you've got homework to knock out, give somewhere new a try and it just might give you a whole new outlook on your studies (or maybe you'll just find a more comfortable chair to study in, which is still a win).

4. Attend a New Sporting Event

Cornellrockey on Wikipedia

From the moment you wake up until 4 or 5 in the afternoon, everyone's routine will be a bit monotonous. With classes and jobs taking up most of the average citizen's day, it's impossible to stray too far from your routine in the morning and early afternoon hours. Evenings are where that opportunity really lies, and what better way to spend an evening than watching some sports?

If you enjoy sports like myself, you don't discriminate. Sure, I may prefer a Saturday night primetime football matchup to the women's tennis home opener, but nonetheless, I enjoy supporting my fellow Dawgs in any competition. Some of my most fun nights at UGA have been when I've attended some of those less popular sporting events. Not only do you switch up your routine, but provide your fellow students with support that I'm sure doesn't go unappreciated. It's truly a win-win.

5. Write

Larry Meisner

For journalism majors like myself, this might not be the best way to "beat your routine". For everyone else, though, it's an excellent alternative to the regularity of student life. Not only is writing good for cognitive function, but it's an excellent way to blow off steam, remember things you'd otherwise forget down the road, etc. Poetry, journals, articles, songs-- whatever the case may be, writing is a highly effective way to avoid monotony.

6. Help Someone

JarryDHoltan on Flickr

Interpret this one how you will, because anything that helps others a) takes time and b) is likely a step away from the norm, which are essentially the only two criteria for this list. While it may not necessarily be the most fun option of these seven, it's absolutely the most rewarding. Volunteering at a local non-profit, picking up trash, even simply going out of your way to say good morning or hold the door can be ways to change things up a bit if you aren't already a kindness aficionado, and they're sure to lift the spirits of all parties involved. The bottom line is this: helping others, however you choose to do so, is not only helping you break up the cycle, but brightening someone else's day as well. You really can't go wrong with this one.

7. Treat Yourself

Nicole Hennig on Flickr

We've all been there. Exhausted, ready to set our notebooks ablaze, haven't left the MLC in 47 hours, single handedly ran Jittery Joe's out of coffee, and have six tests in the next two days--okay, so maybe we haven't all been there. We've all struggled, though, and in those moments of struggle, what better way to loosen yourself up than by finally pulling the trigger on that new pair of shorts you've wanted for months? Or maybe workouts have really been getting the best of you lately, wouldn't a spontaneous massage be nice? Heck, maybe it would just be refreshing to have two socks that matched and a couple more pairs of underwear? Whatever the case may be, treating yourself every now and then to something that you feel you deserve is one of the most effective ways to break the monotony of student life, and I speak from experience.