5 Ways I Have Stayed Positive In College

Stay positive and smile on.
352

College can be a very stressful and mentally draining time. It can be very difficult to stay positive. Last semester was a very rough time for me: constantly upset, missing home, and very stressed out with school. I got tired of feeling the way I did, so I was determined over my winter break to make this spring semester a time for positivity and a time to make myself better. Here are the several ways I helped myself stay positive this semester.

1. Appreciate the little things

I have started to appreciate the little things. Looking at the things you have accomplished in an important and positive way makes you realize that your day or night might have sucked a little less. I appreciate all the friends and professors who have taken the time to make sure I am doing okay. Appreciating the little things in life helps me get through the day.

2. Joining a gym

I decided to get a gym membership and work on a more positive image for my self. There are times I am not confident and I don't like the way I look. So I was hoping that getting a gym membership would help me feel better about myself and become more confident.

3. I accepted that the situation can't change

As I am homesick and always wanting to go home, I have come to the realization that I cant go home for good until the end of the semester. Being in Milwaukee is only a temporary situation and its reassuring that I will get through this.

4. Getting a job

I decided to get an on campus job which has helped me gain more friends and I finally have money to do things that I want. I have more responsibility and it helps me stay busy. As I stay busy, the weeks go by faster and it helps me focus on school more.

5. Realizing I am here for a reason

I have realized that I chose Milwaukee for a reason. I don't know if it is a good or bad reason but that's okay. I may not go here after this semester but I am learning more about myself and who I want to be. Milwaukee has helped me realize what I truly value in life and I am happy to be able to experience everything I have been able to since school started.

As someone who has gone through the ups and downs of the college experience, I struggled staying positive. Going into the sixth week of the spring semester I have been able to stay positive and accept that this is where I will be until May. Staying positive has made this semester so much easier and I am starting to feel happy with who I am becoming.