Try something new to help you to sleep better.

7 Ways To Help You Sleep Better

97

Every now and again we all have a sleepless night. These 7 ideas can help you to try something new to help you to sleep better without having to take any over the counter medications.

Practice good sleep hygiene

Sleep hygiene means that you are following a bedtime routine. Which can be for some going to bed at the same time. Only use the bed for sleep and intimate relations. Washing your face, brushing your teeth, turning the screens off at a certain time. Find a routine that works for you and helps you to relax and get into the grove of preparing to go to sleep.

Meditation

Meditation can be used to help you relax your muscles. I found a cool app called Insight Timer that you can download for free on the app store that has loads of guided meditations. They have specific ones for sleep, you can choose the amount of time that you would like to utilize and if you prefer a male or female voice. This is one way to help release the tension that is occurred throughout the day and drift into a good sleep!

Use an essential oil diffuser with lavender.

Lavender is a great sent to help you relax. Have the essential oil diffuser have lavender pumping throughout your room. Relax and enjoy the scent!

Get a sound box.

Have noisy neighbors, can't fall asleep when there is no noise? They make noise boxes now that can play a bunch of different settings and you can change the volume to be as soft and as loud as you need it to be.

Get light darkening curtains.

Having trouble falling asleep because of light? Invest in some light blocking window shades, or new curtains. Get the room to have as much or as little light as you find comfortable.

Get a new mattress pad.

Maybe your bed is too hard? They have all sorts of extra mattress pads that you can buy that range in price. Give this a try, maybe you just needed a little extra cushion.

Limit your food and drink intake after a specific time.

Depending on the sleep schedule you need to utilize to fit the schedule you have throughout the day choose to stop eating and drinking at least 2-3 hours before bed. This will limit the number of times you have to wake up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Stop drinking caffeinated beverages at least 6 hours before your nightly bedtime is scheduled because this can be a huge factor in not being able to sleep.

Before trying any sleep aids and or supplements make sure you talk to your family doctor to ensure that it is suitable for you to take any over to counter options. Walk through what you normally do before bed and change one thing at a time to see what works and doesn't work for you. If you change too many things at once you may not be able to know what will help you and what will not.