Ways to Do New Year's Emotional Cleaning

It's time to do some housekeeping to avoid any unnecessary clutter for 2021

21

It's already the New Year and most of us are probably scared for what is to come in 2021. We have seen 2020 become bombarded by a pandemic and it has become difficult for us to see our friends and family as much as we used to. 2020 was a rough year for many of us and we were waiting for a solution or a way to somehow undo the spell.

But lucky for us, 2020 is now over and 2021 has taken the spot. We are expecting a new year filled with new memories and a chance to start things over. We want 2021 to become a time where we live our lives and hopefully erase the painful parts of 2020. This is where something called "emotional cleaning/housekeeping" is necessary to filter out the toxicity and negativity in our lives. We want to be happy in 2021 and this is one way of going about it.

"Emotional cleaning/housekeeping" doesn't have to necessarily be a list of things that are in a particular order. It can be spontaneous and can include things from only a moment's span that may pop into a person's mind. When it pops into someone's mind, it can remind them that these are some of the things that they need to work on to make 2021 a more productive year.

Count your blessings (quite literally)- If you are aiming to have the most least toxic year possible this 2021, then it is best to manage and save the positives in your life. Whether it's the time you get to spend with your dog at home or the self-made recipes you try to cook every weekend, these are the things you need to manage and value, so you would be able to savor them as much as you want.

Avoid toxic people in your life- Whether it's your friend's annoying boyfriend or your father's manipulative significant other, it would be best to try to get used to keeping a certain level of distance from them, this year. A new year can also bring new problems and so, it is best to avoid them as much as possible. Try to figure out a way to minimize as least contact with them as possible. For example, instead of third-wheeling with your friend and her boyfriend, try to make an excuse to stay in and do something you enjoy that night.

Never let go of your meaningful relationships- Whether it is your group of friends from a yoga class you have been going to for the past few months or that group of girls you have hung out with, ever since elementary school, you want to make sure you don't let go of them. These are the relationships that bring you joy and happiness in your life. These are elixirs that light up your life and help you feel that life is worth living.

Keep distance from unhealthy triggers- If you happen to deal with things in your everyday life that trigger you to feel a certain way, it is best to remove and eradicate your home of those things as soon as possible. This could be as simple as a piece of paper of a color that reminds you of childhood trauma or something more visual, such as a mirror (especially for those who suffer from poor self body-image). Whatever that trigger may be, it is best to flee from them as you approach the new year.

Identify Stabilizers- Find out what helps you come out of a bad turn. What are the things that motivate you for the New Year? What gives you the momentum to power through a year that has just started from one that dealt with a pandemic? What makes you want to stay motivated? Identifying these things may help boost your self confidence in treading murky waters this new year.

Ultimately, emotional cleansing is just a fancy word for cleaning any type of leftover clutter from 2020. It is a way to replenish your soul for the new things to come in the new year. By doing this, you are able to gradually create room for the important things that are expected in the new year.