7 Ways To Cope With Stress

7 Ways To Cope With Stress

Anxiety's a b*tch so let's kick her out of our lives.

12
7 Ways To Cope With Stress
Photo by Anthony Tran on Unsplash

We've all been there, so here are 7 strategies to cope when it feels like the world's coming down around you.

Practice the 5-4-7 Breathing Technique

Sit down in a comfortable place, close your eyes and start to take deep breaths. Inhale through your nose for 5 seconds, hold it in for 4 seconds, then exhale out your mouth for 7 seconds. It may seem a little weird at first, but after 5 or six breaths, your heart rate will slow down, and you will feel more relaxed.

Color your Stress Away

Take some time out of your day to get out a piece of scrap paper and draw something! If you're like me and have absolutely no artistic ability, print out a coloring page off of google images and get to work. Amazon even has adult coloring books solely for reducing stress for less than ten dollars. Just by concentrating on coloring inside the lines, and deciding what color to use next, your mind will be tricked into forgetting about whatever is stressing you out that day.

Move your Body!

You'll be surprised how much faster or stronger you seem when you work out under stress. All that worry can be converted into energy for physical movement. Whether you want to run, lift, dance, or sing, any type of activity can release the stress build up in you.

Write in a Journal

If something is causing you worry, making you nervous, or even sad or angry, write it down. It doesn't have to be perfect writing, grammar, or even spelling. Just the act of writing your thoughts down on a piece of paper releases those thoughts from your head so they don't have to reside there anymore.

Play a Game

Take a study break and download a free game on your phone, work on a puzzle, or play solitaire. Anything to give your mind a little break from that big test coming up. Make a little schedule for yourself: Study, do work for 30 minutes, then take a ten minute break to play a game. This technique is proven effective, plus it makes everything a little easier.

Cry it Out

Put on some sad music and cry it out. People have emotions! It's alway ok to cry when you are upset. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it does make you feel better. Afterwards, drink some water and keep going! You are a strong person and whatever it is that is bothering you, you will get through it! I find that everything seems to work out in the end.

Talk to Someone you Trust

This one might be a little hard to do, but sometimes all you need is a hug and for someone to say "It's gonna be ok." Find someone you know you can trust, and have a vent session. I know you may think that you don't want to bother your friends with your problems, but quite the opposite can occur. If you take turns telling each other what's on your mind, it can be a really bonding experience.

Whatever it is you are going through, know that it will pass, and if you feel that you are at a low, there's nowhere to go but up. Stay strong!